water turtles

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
first off sorry if it's in the wrong place

ok so i know the answer to this is probably gonna be none but i was wondering if there's any species of water turtles that stay relatively small enough to be kept in a 55g

i have a empty 55g tank just staring at me in the living room not really a fish fan trying to think of what else could go in there

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
A musk turtle or two would be fine in a tank that size. They also do great in deeper water with little need for a basking platform. They also don't eat plants but will dig around in the bottom. They are actually interesting looking like miniature snapping turtles walking around the bottom of the tank. They are tail nippers so any other young turtles you may put on will probably get their tail tips nipped off. They will do fine with most fish but will pick off a few on occasion

Baby souther painted turtles are another option but only for a few years. Although they only get 4" for males and 5" for females they are active swimmers and baskers so would need new room after a few years

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
A musk turtle or two would be fine in a tank that size. They also do great in deeper water with little need for a basking platform. They also don't eat plants but will dig around in the bottom. They are actually interesting looking like miniature snapping turtles walking around the bottom of the tank. They are tail nippers so any other young turtles you may put on will probably get their tail tips nipped off. They will do fine with most fish but will pick off a few on occasion

Baby souther painted turtles are another option but only for a few years. Although they only get 4" for males and 5" for females they are active swimmers and baskers so would need new room after a few years
I've been thinking of Africa side neck I've had one before I just don't wanna put something in there and regret it because it gets to big out door pond really isn't a option for me

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
mud, musk, or reeves

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
or is there anything that can go in there that would be a little bit more of a basker

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
My Reeves bask

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
is that the same as a Chinese Pond turtle? every time i type it in that's what comes up
that is them I've never heard them called that before but that's what they are I love the markings on the face

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
that is them I've never heard them called that before but that's what they are I love the markings on the face

got and suggestions where to look for proper care info on them? they look pretty awesome i bet they got a mean bite tho

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
got and suggestions where to look for proper care info on them? they look pretty awesome i bet they got a mean bite tho
I can't speak for all of them but my 2 in 26 years never even tried to bite me let alone bit me