water turtle request

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I received an email this a.m. from a lady who asked if she could adopt a RES for her indoor pond. I responded back that the turtles I get in are pretty big and probably too big for indoors. She wrote back showing me pictures of her indoor pond:

val's indoor pond a.jpg val's indoor pond b.jpg val's indoor pond c.jpg

She said it's a sunroom extension off her bedroom. She used to have a Macaw in there, but he died of old age. Now she wants turtles in there.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Holly molly!!!! This lady must be awesome to convert her sunroom to this. I wish I had a sunroom! Mine would probably look similar, full of plants, plus the sitting area. I'd totally LIVE in that space

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I received an email this a.m. from a lady who asked if she could adopt a RES for her indoor pond. I responded back that the turtles I get in are pretty big and probably too big for indoors. She wrote back showing me pictures of her indoor pond:

View attachment 172052 View attachment 172053 View attachment 172054

She said it's a sunroom extension off her bedroom. She used to have a Macaw in there, but he died of old age. Now she wants turtles in there.

Where about is this enclosure located at? Is the person young/middle/ old age? Has the person had turtles before?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow what a beautiful place for a lucky turtle. I would love a room like that, but for my torts and me of course.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Where about is this enclosure located at? Is the person young/middle/ old age? Has the person had turtles before?

It's a sunroom off her bedroom. She's 80 years old and has a 3 acre pond on her property with turtles in it, however, she can't get close to them. They jump in the water when they see her.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
It's a sunroom off her bedroom. She's 80 years old and has a 3 acre pond on her property with turtles in it, however, she can't get close to them. They jump in the water when they see her.
I assume here is central California, so those must be Pacific pond turtles in her 3 acre pond? How lucky! As I'm sure you've experience, Yvonne, the Pacific ponds are one of the most skittish turtles there is! Even more so than Mississippi maps. I've really only had one that got to where it would actually come over to the glass windows of our pond and feed with the other turtles, instead of hiding until all's clear. That one was raised from hatchling - so that helped, but still quite shy!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sad to say, they're mostly RES.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Surprised she hasn't got them swimming over for food then. RES will learn to swarm over to you even in a pond that size once they see you as a food source.