Water bowl problems

Big Ol Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
pflugerville Tx
So my 3 toed Mrs.Turtle has been tipping her water bowl over and it gets all in her bedding....Then she hides under it lol but could this mean anything? or is she just bored ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1477182942.788804.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Three toed box turtles like water. They need something a little deeper. Are use a large plastic paint tray with some rocks in it for traction. It got to about 4 inches deep and she could go in there all she wanted. They like humidity too. She's probably just trying to get where it's a little wetter.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mine do that too. They like to burrow under something and it just happens to be the water bowl. Every morning I have to smooth the substrate and re-set the waterer. Tomorrow I'm going to try placing polished stones around the outside of it and see it that helps.

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
Three toed box turtles like water. They need something a little deeper. Are use a large plastic paint tray with some rocks in it for traction. It got to about 4 inches deep and she could go in there all she wanted. They like humidity too. She's probably just trying to get where it's a little wetter.
I spay half of her cage twice a day so it should be nice and humid, for her water bowl I used to have this ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1477183893.600504.jpg
But she'd hardly use it due to how hard it was to get in. I was the given a very helpful tip to use the saucers and she loves it! I can try to find something a bit deeper but with the saucer she's been more active due to the fact she could drink water without face planting.

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
Yvonne G gave me the tip. he's been very helpful

Marcus Harrison

Manchester, UK
I spay half of her cage twice a day so it should be nice and humid, for her water bowl I used to have this View attachment 190202
But she'd hardly use it due to how hard it was to get in. I was the given a very helpful tip to use the saucers and she loves it! I can try to find something a bit deeper but with the saucer she's been more active due to the fact she could drink water without face planting.
Could you not raise the substrate around the bowl so it is much easier to climb into and out of, like a hill I suppose?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Is that what Mrs. Turtle has been in since you got her 15 years ago? It might time to upgrade her to something bigger and you can get her a larger water dish.

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
Is that what Mrs. Turtle has been in since you got her 15 years ago? It might time to upgrade her to something bigger and you can get her a larger water dish.
it's a long story but when my dad got her she was for my sister to take care of. (That didn't happen of course) this is the part that's quit sad... she was living in a 10 gallon tank. yes a 10 gallon. As I got older and my love for turtles and tortoise grew I knew she wasn't happy.(she was in this 10 gallon tank for almost 13 years) I'm 100% percent confident if I hadn't had told my dad that the turtle needed a bigger cage, needs better bedding, and a food schedule she would have died...so I'm taking the best care for her as I can, I LOVE MRS. TURTLE and I'm hoping to get a red foot soon.(it will get a very big tort table trust me) My dad says he loves turtles and tortoise yet he just sat and watched her suffer in a10 gallon tank(she also didn't have a heat lamp just a UVB/UVA bulb at the time) I'm wanting to give her an outside pen under one of are trees so that she can be happy. (all she ate was iceberg lettuce, crickets, worms and some fruit) that change when I started to help here. she eats Romain lettuce, cricket, blue berries, mushrooms, strawberry, and sometimes pinkys I could go on but all in all she's very happy(compared to what she used to live in) and more active then I've ever seen. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1477274517.289288.jpg

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I understand completely, and now all you can do is continue to improve things. I get to parts of Texas a lot so if you ever need help with building the outside enclosure just let me know and if I'm around those parts I could help.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
I understand completely, and now all you can do is continue to improve things. I get to parts of Texas a lot so if you ever need help with building the outside enclosure just let me know and if I'm around those parts I could help.
Always looking out for our shelled friends best interests. You rock, Craig!