Warning: GRAPHIC!! Over 18. Proceed with caution...

Jenni

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Suburbs of Chicago, Illinois
:)

Is this normal looking? Yesterday was the first time he pooped during a soak, I still have yet to see urates at all? Seemed like it took awhile for him to get this out, lots of bubbles...

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1506084869.357681.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1506084932.980195.jpg

zovick

10 Year Member!
The stool is a little loose, but that isn't too unusual for tortoises that eat quite a lot and are soaked daily in my experience. It also depends somewhat on the foods it has been eating recently. Some food items will cause looser stools than others.

I haven't kept Leopards in many years, but I don't recall seeing large amounts of urates from my Leopards when I had them. Maybe some other members who have Leopards currently can comment on this observation.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
All of the species I keep, which includes leopards, are outside, and their diet is grass and weeds. All the poop I pick up is pretty much like dog poop. . . well-formed, firm without being hard.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agreed with Bill. That is pretty normal given all the factors of your situation.

I don't typically see any urates at all on any species that I am soaking regularly. In fact, if I see urates from one of my adults that live outside, I take it as a clue to soak them more often for a while.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
In my experience leopards can go a long time between poops, Can't tell how firm this poop would be since he pooped while in water. Most likely normal.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I agree, it's a slightly unusual to see a stool that loose, but nothing to be concerned about at this point in time.

Ditto on the urates. I don't think I have ever seen my leopards expel urates.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Agree with the above posts.

Tortoises form urates to conserve water. However, it is a very costly metabolic process to continue the conversion of uric acid to the urates we see as the "white stuff". So a well hydrated tortoise will often be excreting the uric acid in a liquid form, and does not need to expend the metabolic energy to further process to the urate stage.

Also, diet will play a key role as the urea/ uric acid/urate process is the metabolism of purines. So a high protein diet, and/or a diet that contains a lot of oxalates, will also produce an excess that needs to be processed - so no matter how well hydrated, in those conditions you will see more urates.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I'm glad all you over 18 folks responded, not like there isn't a daily post of poop or reproductive organs to decipher. Got my 'sarcasm is funny' hat on today. LOL

Good to check about poop quality, in all seriousness. That's an okay poop.

Jenni

Tortoise Club
Suburbs of Chicago, Illinois
I'm glad all you over 18 folks responded, not like there isn't a daily post of poop or reproductive organs to decipher. Got my 'sarcasm is funny' hat on today. LOL

Good to check about poop quality, in all seriousness. That's an okay poop.

Lol, it was a tongue in cheek title. Sometimes I believe I'm a little "off". It's just how I stay sane in this mad world of mine ;)