Volcano Ash on Tortoise.. Is it dangerous?

Taco*mom

Hi guys,

The mountain about 37 miles (60km) away from where I live has shown signs of eruption. Local authorities has evacuated certain area.. so far no ash has been detected.. Do you think the ash will be harmful if inhaled by my tortoises? Anybody knows? Getting very concerned.. Thanks

@Yvonne G @Tom @deadheadvet @zovick @tortadise

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi guys,

The mountain about 37 miles (60km) away from where I live has shown signs of eruption. Local authorities has evacuated certain area.. so far no ash has been detected.. Do you think the ash will be harmful if inhaled by my tortoises? Anybody knows? Getting very concerned.. Thanks

Where are you?

I think the answer to this will depend on the composition of the ash, and the amount of it. We have fires around us from time to time, and the small amount of ash on the ground and on the tortoises has never been a problem. I sprinkler or hose it and it just gets absorbed into the soil to fertilize more weeds and plants for me.

The safe bet for you would be to bring your tortoise inside for a while until the ash and smoke dissipate outside.