Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
evlinLoutries said:
Hmm, I think I should find out by myself,:)

But, how do u apllied vitashell to torts shell? Using hands, using a toothbrush or what? And how much?

Maybe, I'm going to do some experiment too, one for vco, and one for vitashell..:p

I rub it on with my finger after I sun, soak, and give them time to dry.

I would love it if you'd do this yourself. Please post the details and then let us know how it goes.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
emysemys said:
If it were me, since the shell part is static, I would use a Q-tip and only apply it to the growth lines.

I don't think it is in younger babies. I have noticed that when my little Redfoot gets too dry, the centers of his scutes sink in. Tyler Stewart mentioned once before that the same thing happens with his baby Yellowfoots.

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Tom said:
evlinLoutries said:
Hmm, I think I should find out by myself,:)

But, how do u apllied vitashell to torts shell? Using hands, using a toothbrush or what? And how much?

Maybe, I'm going to do some experiment too, one for vco, and one for vitashell..:p

I rub it on with my finger after I sun, soak, and give them time to dry.

I would love it if you'd do this yourself. Please post the details and then let us know how it goes.

And how often u give it?

Ok then, I do these thing with VCO, and u use vitashell..

And we'll compare it later?

I will always updated on your thread..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds great! I'm following the directions on the package and applying it once a week. Every Sunday. I'm planning on continuing this one until around December. I think by then we will have seen what we need to see.

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Tom said:
Sounds great! I'm following the directions on the package and applying it once a week. Every Sunday. I'm planning on continuing this one until around December. I think by then we will have seen what we need to see.

ok, I'm going to give them once a week too..
same day, sunday..:)

anyway, by using those kind of thing, do their body collect dust or any kind of dirt?
and what about shell breathing? can the shell still get an oxygen supply?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
evlinLoutries said:
Tom said:

anyway, by using those kind of thing, do their body collect dust or any kind of dirt?

Mine don't collect any dirt with the VitaShell. I put them outside everyday in a dirt pen and they come in clean. The VitaShell absorbs into their shell within an hour or so and then its not sticky. I surprised at how much I actually like it. The shell breathing and oxygen thing is a matter of debate and controversy. I do not know the answers to those questions, but my tortoises are doing great and they've had product on them for several weeks now.

I just want to reiterate, I'm NOT recommending that every one go out and put goop on their tortoises. I just wanted to try out this tortoise oriented product and share the results. I'm hoping it will help solve a dryness issue that we have here in the desert.

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Tom said:
evlinLoutries said:
Tom said:

Mine don't collect any dirt with the VitaShell. I put them outside everyday in a dirt pen and they come in clean. The VitaShell absorbs into their shell within an hour or so and then its not sticky. I surprised at how much I actually like it. The shell breathing and oxygen thing is a matter of debate and controversy. I do not know the answers to those questions, but my tortoises are doing great and they've had product on them for several weeks now.

I just want to reiterate, I'm NOT recommending that every one go out and put goop on their tortoises. I just wanted to try out this tortoise oriented product and share the results. I'm hoping it will help solve a dryness issue that we have here in the desert.

Ok, I'll try with mine a couple of days from now..
I want to see they will collect dirt or not..

Just wait for my report soon..:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here's an update on mine. All are growing well. Weights are good at 56, 61, and 68 grams. All three are growing smooth, so there is no discernible difference with the two VitaShell torts and the one non VS tort, yet. Last year they were perfect until right around 3 months. That is when I first noticed slight imperfections. So I will be scrutinizing them for differences around that point.

2z5jhfk.jpg

16a3280.jpg

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
here's some :tort: pict of mine..

photo3-8.jpg

photo2-9.jpg

photo1-7.jpg

their shell already used VCO, and I like it colors..:D

we'll see that VCO give a good sign or not..:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They look great. I'll be very curious to see how this goes for you. Good luck!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
evlin, very nice leopards.

Tom, before each weekly application do you notice any still on the tortoises shell from the previous week?

Reason I ask, is when I started looking into this, all the negative information about the product indicated that it would keep building up on the tortoises shell. I've been using it on my two since January and I have never been able to scrape or brush any off at the end of the week, I assume it is either getting absorbed or brushed off as the tortoises rub up against objects in their enclosure. So I can't see why they say it builds up on the tortoises shell, but maybe my two are just different.

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Tom said:
They look great. I'll be very curious to see how this goes for you. Good luck!

Yeah, so far I like it..
But I have to look for a month to see how VCO effects on my torts..

Neal said:
evlin, very nice leopards.

Tom, before each weekly application do you notice any still on the tortoises shell from the previous week?

Reason I ask, is when I started looking into this, all the negative information about the product indicated that it would keep building up on the tortoises shell. I've been using it on my two since January and I have never been able to scrape or brush any off at the end of the week, I assume it is either getting absorbed or brushed off as the tortoises rub up against objects in their enclosure. So I can't see why they say it builds up on the tortoises shell, but maybe my two are just different.

Thanks neal..
:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would like to caution those of you who want to use types of oil on baby shells. If you live in an area where there are red ants, the ants are attracted to the oil. So be vigilant.

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
emysemys said:
I would like to caution those of you who want to use types of oil on baby shells. If you live in an area where there are red ants, the ants are attracted to the oil. So be vigilant.

I kept them indoor for night, and outdoor till noon..

Really? But the oil, VCO is not sweet..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My baby leopards were inside a shed up on a shelf (tort table). I was painting olive oil on the growth lines. One day I went out there to find them covered with red ants. Olive oil isn't sweet either.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I'm not sure what type of ants we have in my backyard (carpenter maybe?) little black ones, but they seem to like the tortoises with vitashell.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Neal said:
I'm not sure what type of ants we have in my backyard (carpenter maybe?) little black ones, but they seem to like the tortoises with vitashell.

haha! That's so funny because I just noticed the ants walking around my sulcata, almost as if they are sniffing him. He doesn't seem to mind. I've washed off the last application so now they don't seem to care for him.

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
emysemys said:
My baby leopards were inside a shed up on a shelf (tort table). I was painting olive oil on the growth lines. One day I went out there to find them covered with red ants. Olive oil isn't sweet either.

I just want to ask about olive oil, but u already say it..:D

The ants bite your torts or not?

And now your not applying the olive oil again to your torts?

Neal said:

Really?? Vitashell did attract the ants too?
:(

Status
Not open for further replies.