Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Throughout my tortoise keeping "career" which officially started in 1986, even though I had a single box turtle in 1979, I have read and been taught a whole lot of stuff. After I learned this stuff, I repeated it and taught it to customers, acquaintances, friends and family. Much of it was just plain wrong. Some examples: Tortoises get all the water they need from the food they eat. Since they come from the desert, they must be kept hot and dry or they will get respiratory infections and shell rot and die. Giving them a water bowl will add too much humidity and they will get sick. Its fine to keep different species together as long as they don't fight. Romaine lettuce is a great staple, much better than iceberg. With the right diet they don't need any calcium supplementation. They must get calcium supplementation every day. They should be fed only fruits and vegetables, but no meat or dog food. Never feed ANY kind of prepared, manufactured or processed food. Excess protein causes pyramiding. Rabbit pellets are the best substrate for tortoises. The list could just go on and on... Another one was don't put any of that lotion or spray cra* on your tortoise's shell. I would say they don't need it and its not "natural".

Well the last few years, and especially the last year here on the forum, have really opened my eyes and my MIND to new ideas and re-thinking old ideas. If someone walked into my pet shop 15 years ago and said they were keeping a sulcata in swampy conditions, we would have had a big argument about their fitness to be keeping pets. (This is only one reason why I understand the general publics resistance to new and better ideas, and why I like to show FACTUAL EVIDENCE right up front nowadays.) In the past couple of years I've seen several anecdotal cases where some "schmutz" applied to the shell on a regular basis produced a healthy looking, smooth tortoise, despite care and conditions that, in theory, shouldn't have. I've heard of olive oil, mineral oil and "VitaShell" being used to grow a healthy shell. Other than being messy and potentially attracting dirt, I can't see how it can harm anything, so in the interest of being open-minded to new possibilities, I want to give it a try. I'm going to take one hatchling sulcata and raise him the same way I usually do in a convention set up with a heat lamp, hide box, damp substrate, water bowl, daily sun and soaks mixed diet etc... The directions on the label say to apply it weekly, so that is how I will start it. I'm worried that the intense moisture routine might prematurely wash it off, so I might decide to apply it more often. If that happens, it will be noted here in an update post.

Here is part of what I am thinking: It SEEMS that dried out, stiff keratinous scutes are part of what causes the underlying bone to malform and grow upward into porous pyramids. All the shell spraying and humidity is an effort to keep things on the shell "lubricated" to borrow Mr. Fife's term. Pliable, if you will. Well the VitaShell is supposed to do just that. Last years EOP babies turned out really good, but not perfect. I want to see if this "stuff" will get me any closer to "perfect". Now mind you its is made and manufactured specifically for turtles and tortoises, and I know many people have used it in the past, so I'm making an educated guess that it will do no harm. I do want to experiment with some variables, but I will not intentionally or knowingly harm any tortoises in the process. Now I know that no one is out there in the wild putting "tortoise lotion" on wild sulcata babies. But the FACT is that NOBODY really knows what the babies are doing in the wild up until they hit that 8-10" mark and start showing themselves in broad daylight above ground. What we have figured out REALLY well over the last two decades of captive raising sulcatas and leopards is what does NOT work. I'll give this a try for a few months and see how it goes.

I just bought the stuff this evening, so I'll pick the tort and post some pics of the lucky winner tomorrow.

9qcym1.jpg

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I've actually been using this on two of my leopards hatched out about 4 months or so now. It's been working great. I apply it once a week. I have not experimented with it to determine if that is the key variable to my leopards growing smooth, but I have never had issues with it.

It was all but necessary for me keeping box turtles here in AZ. My turtles had shell flaking and drying issues with being in a desert environment. I used it for years on them. Never had any issues whatsoever, even the dirt sticking to it has never been a problem.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I use to put that stuff on my russian...it made the colors stand out more and i figured it would prevent cracking...hahaha.. I was 18 when i purchased cecilia..i got her from the same petshop the movie g-force was filmed..

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Tempe, AZ
(applause) I look forward to hearing your results. Personally, ive thought about natural oils. I've read lots of people discourage applying anything to the shell. But, I wonder what our pet torts are missing from not rubbing through foilage, roots, mud, etc

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow. I expected to be laughed at and harangued. I was still going to try it anyway, but it will be much nicer this way. As usual, whatever the results are, it will be on public display.

Its comforting to know that at least two people have done it before with no problems. Did it seem like once a week was adequate for you two? I've never used it, so is it the type of thing that will wash off in daily soaks?

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
This sounds like a wonderful experiment! I was speculating on whether or not to buy VitaShell. I wanted something to heal my tort's flaky skin and dry shell, but then I heard bad reviews about it so I got discouraged. Now I'm thinking about getting it again and applying it once in a while. Oils shouldn't hurt, right?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I used it last year for a little while but stopped maybe I'll have to start using it again :tort: And Tom give your self some credit forward progress on keeping a smooth shell tort has to start some where from some one I am glad you are doing what your doing and sharing it with us keep it up :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For the experimant, I would rather you replaced the spraying with the cream. I think it would be a better test.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
emysemys said:
For the experimant, I would rather you replaced the spraying with the cream. I think it would be a better test.

I've considered this, but it is so ingrained in me now, I don't know if I can stop myself:D.

The lessons and failures of the past just haunt me. I look at my adults and just kick myself! Why couldn't I have figured these thing out 20 years ago?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Tom said:
Did it seem like once a week was adequate for you two? I've never used it, so is it the type of thing that will wash off in daily soaks?

Once a week has been good enough. I usually put it on Sunday night and by Monday morning it's completely absorbed. I have never noticed it washing off in soaks, but after you put it on you can't see it, but you can smell it though. The smell usually goes away by Saturday.

People that don't like it say they have seen tortoises with Vitashell built up and they can scratch it off with their finger nails. I've never been able to do that. My intent was to scrub off the previous weeks application before applying a new layer but by the end of the week there wasn't anything to rub off. I'm guessing their tortoises had the stuff applied more frequently than is suggested.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Tom said:
emysemys said:

I've considered this, but it is so ingrained in me now, I don't know if I can stop myself:D.

The lessons and failures of the past just haunt me. I look at my adults and just kick myself! Why couldn't I have figured these thing out 20 years ago?

I was thinking along Yvonne's train of thought here...I would imagine the consistency of VitaShell would just cause (water) run-off, anyway...and maybe even breakdown (however slightly) the active ingredients of the compounds. I did the olive oil thing last fall-winter with Eggroll...and came to the conclusion that it neither helped nor hindered. I will say that with all the misting, the babies are dry within minutes. Is it a matter of run-off, quick drying time, absorption (again, however slight) or a combination of all three. I think I'm gonna sit on the fence for a little while and see what transpires. If the feedback is significant enough, then I'll try it, too! But, I feel I've put the babies through enough rigors and regimens, to hold off on this one...for awhile, anyway;)

BTW...here are some testimonials I found on their website..."Katie from Madison" is the ONLY one that is convincing to me. But, more than anything, I'm curious what the members here turn up...

Jennifer L
Vineland, NJ
I love VitaShell and so does my box turtle. It softens and moisturizes her shell and skin.

Katie
Madison, WI
My tortoise always gets a Vitashell rub after her soak. It really brings out the patterns in her shell. And I think it helps her during the winter months when the air in the house is so dry.

David K
Syracuse, NY
I use this stuff on my Eastern Box turtles. It softens their skin and keeps them looking great. This cream makes their shells look awesome. It brings out the colors and intricate patterns in the shells and leaves a semi glossy look on them. A great treatment for them once every two weeks and I can tell they love it!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I look forward to seeing the results from this. I don't think anyone has the 100% fool prrof way to raise a captive born tortoise or turtle, it's take time and some error to help us learn what works and what does not.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
More from the website...

* Turtle shell and skin conditioner
* Helps revitalize your turtle's dry, brittle shell and skin
* Non-greasy cream formula is easy to apply

A deep-penetrating, concentrated, skin and shell conditioning cream for turtles. Non-greasy formula combines moisturizers, conditioners, and proteins in a unique, deep-penetrating cream that helps revitalize dry, brittle shells and skin. Apply to your turtle's shell or skin with your hand, coton swab or soft cloth. Use weekly. 2 oz.

Ingredients...

Purified Softened Water, Sunflower Oil, Emulsifying Wax, Cetyl Alcohol, Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Soybean Oil, Glycerin, Lanolin, Cottonseed Oil, Steramidopropyl, Dimethylamine Lactate, Protein Conditioners, Diazolidnyl Urea, Rosemary Oil, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, FD&C Yellow #6.

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
When I got my Morla, her previous owner said that she soaked Morla daily and also applied the VitaShell daily. The container she gave me was hardly touched so I don't know if she had just started the routine or was just on a new tub. I didn't notice any kind of build up or smell or dirt attraction.

I haven't used it because it seemed silly to rub something on a tortoise's shell, but maybe I'll give it another go. I love your little experiments Tom. Good luck!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
This makes sense to me. My fingernails get very dry in the summer and I am continually putting oils and creams on them to keep them from cracking and splitting. Frequent exposure to water makes them worse. Seems like it would be the same for a tortoise shell?? I'm anxious to hear if it works. Thanks Tom.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I just left a comment on Vita Shell here:
"Vita Shell?"

In a nutshell, based on what I've read, I don't think this is a particularly good product. I have used it, and it did make my redfoot's shell look shiny; I used it on my own fingernail cuticles, and it basically did the same thing for me. However, according to the Tortoise Trust, using this stuff too frequently can clog your tortoise's pores and stunt the growth of its scutes. Having the right level of humidity is better than providing an emolient.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Taken from an article on tortoise care from the Tortoise Trust website:

"Another misconception is preparations of some type (many of which are commercial) are recommended, to be placed on the shell, to "give it nutrients" and make it shiny. Many, if not most of these products, are potentially harmful.

Both the carapace and the plastron of a tortoise or turtle is comprised of living tissue. It needs oxygen and exposure to sunlight to keep healthy.

The build-up of soils, waxes, oils, or other preparations, is actually harmful to a tortoise's shell. The keratin and bony layers contain millions of microscopic pores, and things such as the products mentioned actually clog the pores, causing problems."

While not a scientific explanation, it is one that I've always believed and stick with. I've never read of or seen any proof that coating a living tortoises shell with oil does anything except form a coating that limits air contact and collects dust and dirt. Why would oil be acceptable to coat a tortoise with but not paint? They effectively are doing the same thing.

I've never seen any logical reason to coat a tortoises shell with oils or waxes except to please the human eye. They do fine and grow just fine "au naturel" both in the wild and in captivity as long as their shells are kept fairly clean to allow for UV and heat absorption. Not being coated may also help to dissipate heat too.

M

Maggie Cummings

I hate to agree with TT, but I'm going to this time. A tortoise's shell is made up of living tissue that needs to breathe, and a product like Vita Shell will clog the pores and prevent this breathing...I think humidity is better for them

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I really don't think there are any "pores" on a tortoise's shell.

The difference between paint and oil is that oil will still allow for the shell to expand and grow, while paint does not.

I think its just like any other product. It can be used and it can be abused. I don't see anything wrong with using it and washing it off before the next application.

Status
Not open for further replies.