Vitamin A and deworming meds?

Peliroja32

Location (City and/or State)
Biloxi, Mississippi
After a visit to the vet o was told my Chele has parasites and is lacking vitamin A. So now i am wondering, how does one get a 5 month old leopard tortoise to take the meds orally....and how can i get him more vitamin A?

Anyone?

Bee62

Germany
At first: Please don`t let the VET give your tort any vitamin shots ! These shots often do more harm to the tortoise than good.
What do you feed ?
How do you keep your tort ? Please show us pics of the enclosure. What temps do you have in the tort enclosure ? Which UVB bulbs ?

Deworming meds can be given with food that the tortoise like much.

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
Deworming meds normally taste like banana so easy for them to eat. Soak a mazuri pellet, mash it, mix with medicine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What do you normally feed your tortoise, and what symptoms led your vet to the diagnosis of Vitamin A deficiency?

Do NOT let the vet do any "vitamin injections".

I like JLM's suggestion of using Mazuri to get them to take their meds.

Reactions: JLM

Peliroja32

Biloxi, Mississippi
I tried the mazuri route it worked better than trying to pry his mouth open, but it was a little bit of a pain in the behind trying to get him to eat it.

Normally he gets a mix of alot things. I usually chop up some grass and hibiscus leaves with a leaf or two of spring mix also chopped up and mixed with mazuri, also some whole leaves of the spring mix and hibiscus, some clover if i am lucky enough to find any with also a mazuri by itself. And the ocassional cactus pad.

Peliroja32

Biloxi, Mississippi
The vet said he needed more vitamin A in his diet because she said he looks a little puffy.......? She did NOT mention the injections however, and as i had read about those before i was ready to put up a fight if she did. She just said i need to get him more foods with vitamin A to eat.