Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Did you watch the other vid too? The one shown below this one? In the leopard vid it actually did look like the one was helping the other...not ramming, but gently pushing him back over. But in the other vid (I think it was greek or marginated) the one tortoise was ramming the other and he just happened to ram him back upright.

Motara's Mom

5 Year Member
There is nothing like having a friend that will help you when you can't seem to get up on your own.

Urtle

5 Year Member
So do all tortoises know to help? lol poor guy, good thing they help each other. good post

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Absolutely unbelievable!! A while ago I did a VERY bad thing (according to most keepers) and raised a tortoise hatchling with a boxie hatchling. Bad..bad...The tort would follow the boxie all over and even sleep in the same hide even though there were two in the enclosure. After so many people discouraging me from doing this I took the tort out and gave him his own enclosure. He refused to eat for days and after circling his pen for two days, just stopped eating and went into his hide. The boxie couldn't care less...kept eating, and doing his thing like always. I finally had to put them back together until I could gradually separate them. So somewhere deep inside their heads, there has to be some kind of emotion going on. I loved that video.

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
emysemys said:
Did you watch the other vid too? The one shown below this one? In the leopard vid it actually did look like the one was helping the other...not ramming, but gently pushing him back over. But in the other vid (I think it was greek or marginated) the one tortoise was ramming the other and he just happened to ram him back upright.

I did catch the ramming video under the Leopards, Maybe it was pay back get him while he's down. I don't think I could have stood there and watched, I would have helped the poor guy.
The leopard video was great! what a pal.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Another feel-good-warm-and-fuzzy moment:D

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I was wondering how he got on his back to begin with. :( After he pushed him back over it seemed to me that he was a little aggressive. Makes you wonder about what happened in the beginning of this video.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I always will watch my tortoises for 20 minutes or so to see if they right themselves, they always seem to. It builds my confidence knowing they can take care of themselves.

My other tortoises ignor the one struggling on its back, so I do not have that sense of safety for mine!

helensky

5 Year Member
the way the tort followed the other once it had been righted, and their relative sizes makes me think HE was just righting HER so he could get some :D

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Huh, I'm with Candy on this one. That was a completely flat area, so the first tortoise couldn't really have fallen over on its own. Either the second one rammed it over before helping it up, or someone "set it up" on its back and then stepped back to film the follow-up.

It was sweet until I started wondering...and certainly it proves that tortoises are more intelligent than most people think.

Status
Not open for further replies.