Vern the Redfoot - Photo Thread

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I made a thread for Ruby Photos, it only makes sense that Vern gets one too so you guys can witness his antics. He's about 8 years old, I got him from a lady on Craigslist who needed to find him a new home because she was headed to school. As you can tell he's a pyramid-ed mess. He is also a picky eater and he is very...amorous. There is no denying that he is all boy.

Waiting by the chicken coop in hopes of a sighting (They hide as soon as he walks up there - and it's a long uphill walk too, yet he persists)
p1365416409-2.jp

Being rewarded for eating some greens and veggies without having to add 'junk food' to the mix.
p1307756527-2.jpg

Cute little tortoise butt. I love that he wags his tail while he walks. I'll have to take video some time.
p1365416298-4.jpg

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Love that long neck! What a beauty!

I can't believe how long it is. I've watched him flip twice (the issue has since been fixed) and he can bend that sucker WAYYYY back to flip himself back over. He loves to have it rubbed and he's sitting on your feet or lap.

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
I love how his colors go from red to orange to lemon yellow! (He's all my favorite flavors of Starburst!)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Aww, love the neck rub photo! What a cutie-pie! :)

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Aww, love the neck rub photo! What a cutie-pie! :)

He is a total lap tortoise. The little one wants to be on the go bulldozing everything and he is content to sit with you for hours if he's got a warm spot and someone to scratch his shell.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
He is a total lap tortoise. The little one wants to be on the go bulldozing everything and he is content to sit with you for hours if he's got a warm spot and someone to scratch his shell.
Oh my goodness, a lap tortoise!! That's hilarious and so cool. I'm super jealous! My Russian, Steve, is the bulldozer type, as you described. XD Sometimes, I wish he could understand cuddles!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
It was 66 and sunny yesterday so we took a quick supervised walk up to the upper pasture to crunch the leaves. Alas it only lasted a few minutes before the clouds rolled back in and our power has been in and out all night and most of today.

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
It was 66 and sunny yesterday so we took a quick supervised walk up to the upper pasture to crunch the leaves. Alas it only lasted a few minutes before the clouds rolled back in and our power has been in and out all night and most of today.

He's speedy! I love Vern. He might be my favorite forum redfoot. Also, from above he doesn't look pyramided. It's a good angle for him ;) ~

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
@Rutibegga I'll let him know it is a flattering angle. :)

He's got crazy spikes, but I've been seeing a lot of new growth since we finally figured out how to get him to eat. Here's a shot of him and my boyfriend that really shows his pyramids. I wish I would have gotten him sooner.

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
@Rutibegga I'll let him know it is a flattering angle. :)

He's got crazy spikes, but I've been seeing a lot of new growth since we finally figured out how to get him to eat. Here's a shot of him and my boyfriend that really shows his pyramids. I wish I would have gotten him sooner.

His "spikes" give him character (not that he needs any more--that face!!!) and he's a happy, healthy guy who has great care now, so that what matters. I love the look on his face in this photo.

FLGirl41

5 Year Member
Gosh he's cute. I swear male redfoots are so friendly. Mine would crawl in your lap and sit there forever, asking for neck rubs.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Vern Shelfie! Gotta love when the bf tosses you a wet tortoise fresh from the soak bin for a cuddle.
1451089862184.jpg

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
60+ degrees and sunny, Vern got to go on a short romp around the pasture while I soaked up some UVB days with him. 1454056200805.jpg

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
My mind just got blown, on October 23rd Vern weighed 8# 3oz (3.76kg) and I weighed him in this morning at 11# 1oz (5kg) - I realized he wasn't eating MUCH after we got him, but I can't believe the difference.
Looks like my persistence and determination to find foods that are healthy and appealing is paying off.