Vermiculite ingestion in neonates.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I've got a question (or a few) about the possible risks involved with the ingestion of vermiculite in neonates.

If a hatchling pips and for whatever reason ingests copious amounts of vermiculite, what risks does that present for that animal?

If it does not cause a digestive blockage and the animal is capable of passing the medium, what is to be expected? Let's also say that animal passes it for several weeks. Dehydration is the first risk I can think of. What else?

If dehydration occurs despite the efforts of the keeper, what else might we see develop?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Interesting. @Tom may be able to answer this. This I believe is why he uses this for his egg hatching as its safer then the other stuff that for some reason I can't think of the name

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Every leopard and sulcata baby that I've hatched eats a little vermiculite during the hatching process. I remove them from the incubation media the moment they leave their egg, but they still manage to ingest some. This has never been a problem. When they begin pooping for the first time 2 weeks later, I will always see little flecks of vermiculite in their first 2 or 3 poops. In small amounts it apparently passes with no issue. I've never seen any in their poop beyond their first few poops.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
I use perlite for incubating eggs and I've seen countless neonates--still in their eggs--stick their heads down and eat a little of the stuff. Their first poops are often solid white blobs of perlite. But I do try and limit this by removing them quickly.
Never had an issue though.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Every leopard and sulcata baby that I've hatched eats a little vermiculite during the hatching process. I remove them from the incubation media the moment they leave their egg, but they still manage to ingest some. This has never been a problem. When they begin pooping for the first time 2 weeks later, I will always see little flecks of vermiculite in their first 2 or 3 poops. In small amounts it apparently passes with no issue. I've never seen any in their poop beyond their first few poops.
Two weeks for their first poop? My hatchlings were pooping within the first week. I move the eggs from the vermiculite the moment they pip. I don't give them to option to even potentially ingest something like vermiculite. I've had a few eat greens that I place in front of them before even leaving the egg. I've yet to have a baby pass any vermiculite of any amount. I'm sure if I as a human ingested even a little vermiculite it would affect my system, let alone a baby tortoise. Although they may continue to grow and seem just fine I'm sure it can't be a "neutral" thing. It's got to be negative to some degree in my opinion.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I also move the eggs as they pip to minimize the possibility of vermiculite ingestion. I currently have the luxury of being home to attend to them as they start hatching so there is no delay. I am no expert but this is just what I've done.

I am asking these questions because I bought a little hatchling from someone else and that baby pooped vermiculite for upwards of 3 weeks after I received it. (My own hatchlings have never pooped any and they poop within their first week) Not a few flecks here and there but large amounts of vermiculite were passed. That baby failed to thrive. It seems to me that a bite or two of vermiculite may be harmless in most cases but when they ingest significant amounts, we are highly likely to see problems with health and even failure to thrive.

I know of another keeper who lost a baby who was also passing large amounts of vermiculite, not purchased from the same source. That baby prolapsed and also failed to thrive and euthanized.

When discussing this with a couple of vets, dehydration was mentioned as the most probable or most notable affect of ingesting vermiculite.

I will continue to be extra cautious about incubation medium as a result.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Two weeks for their first poop? My hatchlings were pooping within the first week. I move the eggs from the vermiculite the moment they pip. I don't give them to option to even potentially ingest something like vermiculite. I've had a few eat greens that I place in front of them before even leaving the egg. I've yet to have a baby pass any vermiculite of any amount. I'm sure if I as a human ingested even a little vermiculite it would affect my system, let alone a baby tortoise. Although they may continue to grow and seem just fine I'm sure it can't be a "neutral" thing. It's got to be negative to some degree in my opinion.

Vermiculite is inert and non-toxic. Inhaling lots of vermiculite dust repeatedly and frequently, could be an issue for lungs. but incidental ingestion of small amounts won't hurt a tortoise or a person. Now if a hatchling ate a lot of it, it could cause an impaction, but that is not the issue here.

What is it about vermiculite that concerns you?

Perlite is a different story. That stuff breaks down and lines their intestinal tract causing some percentage of them to fail to thrive and sometimes die. How bad it is will depend on how much they ingest. In my batch of 20 sudan sulcatas about a third died from it. Another third lived, but they were never quite right, and the last third is alive and doing just fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I also move the eggs as they pip to minimize the possibility of vermiculite ingestion. I currently have the luxury of being home to attend to them as they start hatching so there is no delay. I am no expert but this is just what I've done.

I am asking these questions because I bought a little hatchling from someone else and that baby pooped vermiculite for upwards of 3 weeks after I received it. (My own hatchlings have never pooped any and they poop within their first week) Not a few flecks here and there but large amounts of vermiculite were passed. That baby failed to thrive. It seems to me that a bite or two of vermiculite may be harmless in most cases but when they ingest significant amounts, we are highly likely to see problems with health and even failure to thrive.

I know of another keeper who lost a baby who was also passing large amounts of vermiculite, not purchased from the same source. That baby prolapsed and also failed to thrive and euthanized.

When discussing this with a couple of vets, dehydration was mentioned as the most probable or most notable affect of ingesting vermiculite.

I will continue to be extra cautious about incubation medium as a result.

Most breeders leave their babies in the incubation container on the incubation media while they absorb their yolk sacs. This can take several days. They explain this by saying that in the wild they would stay in the nest underground after hatching for at least a few days, if not longer. These same breeders usually assert, incorrectly, that a baby with a yolk sac will not eat. Most of us here on TFO know this is false, but many breeders still believe this. Again these are human attempts to mimic nature, and these things can cause significant problems, impaction or death being a couple examples.

Babies in the nest in the ground DO eat. They eat their eggs shells, dirt, and the mother's poop. Whenever I dig up a nest, I usually find a little poop near the eggs. It is believed that this will seed the GI tract with good microorganisms for digestion. Yet somehow, our captive hatched babies thrive and grow with out this seeding.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463355098.696237.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463355110.896002.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463355143.474262.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463355158.119033.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463355196.031923.jpg

As I find they are pipping I move them, as each pips, to a warm and humid brooder box for them soak up their sacs, eat their shells, and start sampling foods that I offer. I move them around based on hatch/sac absorption level from one place in the box to another.

Significantly reduces and even eliminated the opportunity to ingest any of the vermiculite. It's the way I will continue to do it after seeing there is some risk to the ingestion of vermiculite. I won't even use perlite because it appears to come with a greater risk of problems in smaller amounts.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Monica, do you have any way of knowing how the breeder of your recently passed pp baby does it?
Do they remove the neonate when it starts to pip?
Do they keep it on the medium while it's absorbing the sac?

3 weeks of large amounts would lead me to assume the neonates are housed on the stuff for a while...
Again, sorry to hear.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Monica, do you have any way of knowing how the breeder of your recently passed pp baby does it?
Do they remove the neonate when it starts to pip?
Do they keep it on the medium while it's absorbing the sac?

3 weeks of large amounts would lead me to assume the neonates are housed on the stuff for a while...
Again, sorry to hear.
I talked with them. I was told they get moved once the sac is absorbed.
I was reimbursed for the tortoise and the individual and I are square.

I'm just wanting to stress that there *may* be times when a hatchling ingests too much vermiculite before their sac is absorbed and could lead to serious issues.

Her failure really hit me hard. I thought could save her. I wasn't able to. :(

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463372343.432428.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463372383.684901.jpg

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I received her Feb 11th. This is the last picture I could find with a date but it still continued on into March.
About the time I stopped seeing it was when things started getting ugly for her, though she always looked tired and had eye gunk from the get go.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463372851.901268.jpg

I know failures happen but how many of those can be prevented by removing babies a little sooner? Is her case a fluke...a freak thing? I'd assume so if I weren't seeing it in other tortoise groups.

I'm just talking out loud I think lol.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I talked with them. I was told they get moved once the sac is absorbed.

This is exactly what I was talking about. Some breeders still do this and it causes exactly what you had happen. Babies cannot be left walking around in the incubator, on this incubation media, for a week. I also think they learn what to eat while they are still in their brooder boxes with no substrate, and this is another factor here. They sample what they are exposed to in those first few days. Expose them to various weeds and greens in the brooder box, and that's what they learn to eat. Expose them to perlite or vermiculite for the first week, and they will learn to eat that.

I know failures happen but how many of those can be prevented by removing babies a little sooner? Is her case a fluke...a freak thing? I'd assume so if I weren't seeing it in other tortoise groups.

I'm just talking out loud I think lol.

Failures DON'T happen when you do it right, and no, this was not a fluke. That beautiful baby was killed by the breeders incorrect husbandry and rearing technique, and so are so many others. If they are started the way I outline in my thread: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/
100% of them survive and thrive. All of them. There are no "flukes" and there is no "well some of them just aren't meant to make it…" If the babies are kept hydrated, fed and not allowed to get impacted, they live and thrive. Plain and simple. Breeder error.

The question is: Will this breeder learn from this mistake, or keep doing it the same way? How many of his other babies have senselessly died a horrible, slow, painful death? What's it going to take for these guys to figure this out?

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
And clarification after rereading some messages. The individual said they remove them soon after they are free from their egg. Just wanted to clarify.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
This is exactly what I was talking about. Some breeders still do this and it causes exactly what you had happen. Babies cannot be left walking around in the incubator, on this incubation media, for a week. I also think they learn what to eat while they are still in their brooder boxes with no substrate, and this is another factor here. They sample what they are exposed to in those first few days. Expose them to various weeds and greens in the brooder box, and that's what they learn to eat. Expose them to perlite or vermiculite for the first week, and they will learn to eat that.

Failures DON'T happen when you do it right, and no, this was not a fluke. That beautiful baby was killed by the breeders incorrect husbandry and rearing technique, and so are so many others. If they are started the way I outline in my thread: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/
100% of them survive and thrive. All of them. There are no "flukes" and there is no "well some of them just aren't meant to make it…" If the babies are kept hydrated, fed and not allowed to get impacted, they live and thrive. Plain and simple. Breeder error.

The question is: Will this breeder learn from this mistake, or keep doing it the same way? How many of his other babies have senselessly died a horrible, slow, painful death? What's it going to take for these guys to figure this out?

In my limited experience, my hatchlings were eating BEFORE they were even free of their eggs. In fact, my very first experience was a single hatchling that dove right for the vermiculite in an attempt to get a piece of eggshell, I immediately intervened (I was filming at the time) and removed him, while still in his egg, into a brooder box and let him eat his egg and some greens. I experienced this again this last fall when the babies were ravenous while still in and literally rolling out of their eggs. Eating everything they could possibly sample, even trying to sample one another (lol). Needless to say, that first experience is why I've been so careful since. They pip, they get moved.

DPtortiose

Interesting topic, from what I've read about this is that it's not uncommon for tortoise to swallow small stone to aid in digestion. According to the litarture I've read T. hermani neonates supposidly ingest sand from the nest for this similair reason.

It is believed that this will seed the GI tract with good microorganisms for digestion. Yet somehow, our captive hatched babies thrive and grow with out this seeding.

Excellent point, it's shame we know relatively little about the gut fauna. To give an indication how important this may be, our local horse farrier has started to give fecal transplants to horse that are in remission from cancer. Before he started doing this, 80% of all the treated horse got cancer again in five years. Now with fecal transplants only 10% of all of his patients was diagnosed with cancer again in five years. A good gut fauna has an very large impacted on growth, weight and the immune stystem. It's perhaps not a bad idea to introduce the neonate to some adult tortoise dung, but I would be a bit worried about possible parasite infections spreading.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's perhaps not a bad idea to introduce the neonate to some adult tortoise dung, but I would be a bit worried about possible parasite infections spreading.

Given the plethora of disease that run through the tortoise community, I don't think this would be good advice. Too many animals are asymptomatic carriers of too many things.

I wouldn't mind the development of some sort of pro-biotic made for tortoises. I'd love to see the results of that. I'd like to raise 2 groups of 6 babies, all from the same clutch, in the same divided enclosure with the same diets and routine. One group gets the probiotics from day one, and the other group doesn't.

TurtleBug

10 Year Member!
I wouldn't mind the development of some sort of pro-biotic made for tortoises. I'd love to see the results of that. I'd like to raise 2 groups of 6 babies, all from the same clutch, in the same divided enclosure with the same diets and routine. One group gets the probiotics from day one, and the other group doesn't.

Have you tried the reptile probiotic NutriBAC df by MZR?

http://www.mzrproducts.com