Vanya the Russian Tortoise

MadameFizzgig

Location (City and/or State)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Hello everyone!

My name is Ali, I'm a 22 year old female currently living in Amsterdam. This little fella is Vanya. He's about 2 and a half years old and I've had him for several months. I joined this site after realizing how often I'm here to look things up. I also need to ask a question relating to his health, and I figured this would be the place to do it.

Attachments

• IMG_8009.JPG
    IMG_8009.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 15

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome to TFO from the UK.

Have you read the TFO care guides for Russians? They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Baby Russian Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Russian Tort Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

MadameFizzgig

Hello and welcome to TFO from the UK.

Have you read the TFO care guides for Russians? They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Baby Russian Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Russian Tort Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Thanks for the welcome!

I have read the care guides, and I did my research before buying a Russian as well. Always good to have a guide handy.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi Ali, I love the name you have chosen for your tortie! Cute Russian name for a cute Russian tort! Vanya is very nice looking. I am raising 2 Redfooted babies for my daughter whose pets those torties are. In her 12 yr old journey of selfdiscovery She is currently going through a spell of low interest in responsibilities and chores and rather than bouncing those two around between different homes (rehoming) I have decided to stick it up for my Offspring and fill in for her until she realizes that despite all kinds of emotional storms and tornadoes going on inside her and in her social circles, deep down inside she is still this same, gentle, loving girl who adores animals and will no doubt be happy that her pets are still right there whenever she is ready to take over their care. Meanwhile I still call them my "Grand-torts":) Your little Vanya looks like a young little guy, meaning he (or... she?:)) will be reaching your "mature", and then "golden" years together which is great! Unlike cats and dogs whose life span is so much shorter and every about a decade and a ½ they are called Over the Rainbow Bridge leaving us with completely broken hearts... and little (or a big) tortoise if kept in right conditions and fed right diet is likely be your faithful companion throughout your entire life and maybe even become a family heirloom that we must will over to our next generation... anyway congratulations on your little tortie and warm welcome from Texas, USA

MadameFizzgig

Hi Ali, I love the name you have chosen for your tortie! Cute Russian name for a cute Russian tort! Vanya is very nice looking. I am raising 2 Redfooted babies for my daughter whose pets those torties are. In her 12 yr old journey of selfdiscovery She is currently going through a spell of low interest in responsibilities and chores and rather than bouncing those two around between different homes (rehoming) I have decided to stick it up for my Offspring and fill in for her until she realizes that despite all kinds of emotional storms and tornadoes going on inside her and in her social circles, deep down inside she is still this same, gentle, loving girl who adores animals and will no doubt be happy that her pets are still right there whenever she is ready to take over their care. Meanwhile I still call them my "Grand-torts":) Your little Vanya looks like a young little guy, meaning he (or... she?:)) will be reaching your "mature", and then "golden" years together which is great! Unlike cats and dogs whose life span is so much shorter and every about a decade and a ½ they are called Over the Rainbow Bridge leaving us with completely broken hearts... and little (or a big) tortoise if kept in right conditions and fed right diet is likely be your faithful companion throughout your entire life and maybe even become a family heirloom that we must will over to our next generation... anyway congratulations on your little tortie and warm welcome from Texas, USA

Thank you! Originally his name was Anya, but after a few months it became apparent that he was a boy so I had to troubleshoot :p Luckily Vanya is a boy's Russian name so I didn't have to stray far from the original. Redfooted torts are adorable, good on you for stepping up to take care of them! I'm sure once your daughter is a bit older she'll see the beauty and opportunity that having a lifelong pet/companion poses. My first tortoise was a Redfoot but unfortunately I rescued him from someone who didn't take proper care of him, and too much damage had already been done. :( I'm still happy that I spent the time with him that I did though. He got much better care with me than he would have if he'd stayed in that environment, that's for sure. Anyway, thanks so much for the warm welcome! It's always lovely to meet other enthusiasts. :tort::<3: