UVB T5HO vs T8

BowDownBowser

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, Florida
What is the difference between the T5H0 and T8 fluorescent UVB bulb? I have a hatchling Sulcata tortoise and I have a T8 that needs to be replaced. Is it bad to stick with T8. Right now while it's still cold I want a UV light in the enclosure. Once it warms up I'll be sure to get him hours of sunlight a week but for now is T8 okay or does it need to be T5HO?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Mikeh is a guy on the forum that you can talk to about lighting. He helped me out a bit ago. Are you against Mercury Vapor bulbs? Seems like sulcata owners like the heat and uvb that those bulbs produce. But if you're wanting fluorescents, the big difference to me between HO T5s and T8s is the uvb output. I've never tried the T5s but I think they might put out a lot more light as well. If your tort will get lots of sunlight as soon as it warms up, you might be able to get away with the T8. Otherwise, you'll need to buy a high output fixture for the T5s. See what others have to say.

BowDownBowser

Jacksonville, Florida
Re: RE: UVB T5HO vs T8

pfara said:
Mikeh is a guy on the forum that you can talk to about lighting. He helped me out a bit ago. Are you against Mercury Vapor bulbs? Seems like sulcata owners like the heat and uvb that those bulbs produce. But if you're wanting fluorescents, the big difference to me between HO T5s and T8s is the uvb output. I've never tried the T5s but I think they might put out a lot more light as well. If your tort will get lots of sunlight as soon as it warms up, you might be able to get away with the T8. Otherwise, you'll need to buy a high output fixture for the T5s. See what others have to say.

I tried mercury vapor bulbs but the way my enclosure is set up it gets too hot. The temperature under the mvb gets upward of 110 degrees and its a "closed chamber" enclosure so if I try to vent heat I'll lose humidity. Because of that I'm just using a 65 watt halogen flood light for a basking lamp, a che for overall heat, and fluorescent uvb bulb. Would t8 be acceptable for the days he cant get outside and the winter months when its a little too cold to be out long periods of time?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
There are some people on here that believe that if your tortoise gets plenty of outside time during the rest of the year, then they don't need uvb during the cold months that they're brought inside. However, I would think it all depends on how much outside time they had so as to store as much vitamin d as possible. If your tortoise spent most of the year outside, then I think it's safe to say that a T8 with uvb is fine.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Given you are in Florida, your tort should be getting plenty of sunshine soon. So you are fine with T8 10%. That being said, T5HO is a great investment not only because of higher UVB output but also because it puts out 3 times as much visible light, simulating day time light that much better the dull T8, which will be much appreciated by arid species.

*T5HO tube can not be used in T8 fixture will require T5HO fixture to work.

Bmorton98

San Antonio
Is a T8 25 UVB bulb going to work for our young sulcata. He is only 3" long and a 2-4 months old. We have a ceramic heater also. After doing some research I think we are going to get a different substrate.image.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Is a T8 25 UVB bulb going to work for our young sulcata. He is only 3" long and a 2-4 months old. We have a ceramic heater also. After doing some research I think we are going to get a different substrate.View attachment 204922
Is the T8 a 10.0? Those out out fairly low UVB but can work if about 12" above tortoise height. You do need to hang it inside the enclosure, though. It is sitting on top is a screen now and depending upon the mesh of that screen it will filter out 25-65% of the uvb. So it will not work on top of the screen. You should consider covering the enclosure with a solid top anyway as you will have far greater success with your sulcata with higher humidity than an open top will allow. Read the thread pinned to the top of this sulcata section on "how to raise a healthy sulcata or leopard tortoise"

Bmorton98

San Antonio
Is the T8 a 10.0? Those out out fairly low UVB but can work if about 12" above tortoise height. You do need to hang it inside the enclosure, though. It is sitting on top is a screen now and depending upon the mesh of that screen it will filter out 25-65% of the uvb. So it will not work on top of the screen. You should consider covering the enclosure with a solid top anyway as you will have far greater success with your sulcata with higher humidity than an open top will allow. Read the thread pinned to the top of this sulcata section on "how to raise a healthy sulcata or leopard tortoise"
I'm not sure if it is a 10.0. I bought a wetable coconut fibre substrate which holds absorbed water. I'm trying to figure a way to keep the lighting and heat while enclosing the habitat. I'm thinking that cutting a section slightly smaller than the uvb light and attaching some modified Rubbermaid lids might do the trick. image.jpgimage.jpg