UVB Lightbulb Question

KarlK

Hey Guys.
I got this UVB Bulb, i will put picture of it. But i am confused about how high over the russian tortoise it should be, because im thinking it might damage the eyes if its to close. People have told me this. People have also given me different information about the height i have researched this today and asked where i bought, and they do not know, but the pet store barely knows anything.

Stats:
25w
UVB 150

Says it has high D3 conversion whatever that means
It says effective up to 50cm 20inches, but i doubt it is good at that range? Im thinking about 25cm, 10 inches above the decor, or top of the shel of the russian tortoise?

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/...-geD6Tay9YMFIh3Lf2lmzvh53pGbuPGlOz3B0Sm3Hv5yo

hi for denmark

KarlK

also will it hurt my eyes when i sit next to the Cage, i will be doing alot of Work next to the Cage, on my computer. if the bottom of the bulb is like 30 cm above its quite alot over the top of the Cage, like from top Shell to bottom of the bulb then it is above the Cage lighting out in the room right next to me

KarlK

Thanks man, i though maybe too thats the last thing i want.
This is a coil bulb tho? I heard the best is the pipes you know, the pipe uvb bulbs?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
The bulb in your photo is a compact florescent (or "coil" bulb as people here call them) and probably not what you want.

Long tube (linear) fluorescents are my favourite - you can put them in fixtures with reflectors on the back, so all the light is aimed down into the enclosure (and not wasted by going up - uv light is also bad for your eyes so you don't want to be staring at it all day).

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello and a very warm welcome to the forum. :)

KarlK

Thank you Guys, i will get a tube light, that aims Down the last thing i want is for my eyes to be damaged or my turtles haha. So the tubes dont do any damage to the eyes of the turtle?. and thanks for saying welcome, knowledge is gold and im here to learn thank you guys.

KarlK

I just read that one can get a bulb that bots produces good uvb and heats, is that true cause that would be smart?? or is that like a lazy solution because i dont want that.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I just read that one can get a bulb that bots produces good uvb and heats, is that true cause that would be smart?? or is that like a lazy solution because i dont want that.

It is true, mercury vapour bulbs sold for reptiles produce both uvb and heat and are ideal for Testudo species. If you don't require night heat, there is no need to have a separate bulb for heat.

KarlK

It is true, mercury vapour bulbs sold for reptiles produce both uvb and heat and are ideal for Testudo species. If you don't require night heat, there is no need to have a separate bulb for heat.
sounds great can you recommend one, then i can look for something similar here in denmark

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Wattage depends heavily on your enclosure - some people get by with 80W, 100W is common, some people apparently need 150W. Very large enclosures can handle more wattage, smaller enclosures can risk overheating.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I've always used the100watt Powersun manufactured by Zoomed.
In my enclosure I also had a CHE to provide heat ate night when the light was off. My light was on a 12/12 or a 14/10 hour cycle. The CHE was on a heat sensor/controller. Here are a couple pictures of a Zoomed Powersun lamp…ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1485919168.602435.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1485919186.859592.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1485919211.088192.jpg