UVB life span

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern, PA, USA
Question about the time UVB bulbs last I've heard 6 months, 9 months, a year...which one is it?

I assume those time frames vary based on type (MVB, tube), maker, and time run.

I also assume that the clock is running while they're on so storing over the summer doesn't affect them.

Any input is appreciated.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There is no way of telling without a uv meter. They are costly and most don't have them. I use both Mercury and tube florescent. The tube are for my lizards. I go six months on them and a year or a little more on the Mercury. During the summer months the Mercury is off completely. During last winter I used them half the time. This winter I will be using them only about once a week for a 12 hour period so will be taking that into account before replacing.

Travis

Wisconsin, USA
I think a good rule of thumb is every 6 months. I've read that numerous places and it's what I personally always do. But like Wellington said above, only surefire way to know is uv meter. But those are pricey

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The consensus of opinion is replace the bulb every 6 months.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The manufacturers want to sell more bulbs. I have 10.0 tubes that are still producing good UVB after 24 months.

We have a vet here who has been testing MVBs and he says the current iteration only makes UVB for 3 months, even though the bulb still lights up everyday.

Without a meter you are just guessing. You might be throwing away a perfectly good working bulb, or you might be going months with no UV for your indoor tortoise over winter. In addition to ensuring that your tortoise is getting what it needs, the purchase of the meter will also prevent you from wasting money unnecessarily and save you money in the long run. For an animal that will live, and need UV bulbs, for decades, having a UV meter makes sense.

https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I guess I'll have to continue the seat-of-the-pants method. That meter is out of my price range!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I just consider the meter to be a long-term investment. The tortoise is going to live for a long long time so it's worth it to me.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I use a 4 foot uvb tubes in my 3 enclosures. They cost about $35 ea. If I went by "seat of the pants" and replaced every 6 months, that would be about $200 per year. Like @Tom I have found my bulbs actually are putting out great UVB at 18 and 24 months. I've saved money by !having the meter, let alone the piece of mind KNOWING the Tortoises are getting the UVB needed.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
The manufacturers want to sell more bulbs. I have 10.0 tubes that are still producing good UVB after 24 months.

We have a vet here who has been testing MVBs and he says the current iteration only makes UVB for 3 months, even though the bulb still lights up everyday.

Without a meter you are just guessing. You might be throwing away a perfectly good working bulb, or you might be going months with no UV for your indoor tortoise over winter. In addition to ensuring that your tortoise is getting what it needs, the purchase of the meter will also prevent you from wasting money unnecessarily and save you money in the long run. For an animal that will live, and need UV bulbs, for decades, having a UV meter makes sense.

https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

@Tom

Thank you again for the guidance. There is a model of solarmeter (model 6.2) which is cheaper and available on Amazon. The 6.2 measures only uvb. Its mainly marketed for reptiles. I know your link is for the 6.5. This measures uva and uvb. Is there any benefit to buying the 6.5 vs the 6.2? Saves about $50.

Thank you!

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I'm pro-uv meter as well. Thanks to my 6.5, I know my three foot tubes are still putting out the same UVB that they were 18 months ago (and my meter told me when I had put a dud bulb in too).

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
@Tom

Thank you again for the guidance. There is a model of solarmeter (model 6.2) which is cheaper and available on Amazon. The 6.2 measures only uvb. Its mainly marketed for reptiles. I know your link is for the 6.5. This measures uva and uvb. Is there any benefit to buying the 6.5 vs the 6.2? Saves about $50.

Thank you!
Actually the 6.2 meter is the older model and is a broad range UV meter measuring the whole range of UV approx. 250 - 400 nm. It is great for watching to see when a bulb needs to be replaced and works well. However, its drawback was it could give you the same reading for a bulb that puts out most all of its UV as UVA as it would for one with much more UVB if the TOTAL UV output was the same. It is the UVB we need to monitor to ensure D3 production and we will not be getting that with a reading that looks good, but is mostly from UVA light.

The 6.5 was created to weight the reading very heavily on the 290-315nm range which is the UVB range associated with vitamin D production. So the 6.5 will give you a much more accurate indication of how good the light you are testing is at providing the UVB needed for D3 synthesis.

The 6.5 is the way to go for what we are wanting from the meter.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
Actually the 6.2 meter is the older model and is a broad range UV meter measuring the whole range of UV approx. 250 - 400 nm. It is great for watching to see when a bulb needs to be replaced and works well. However, its drawback was it could give you the same reading for a bulb that puts out most all of its UV as UVA as it would for one with much more UVB if the TOTAL UV output was the same. It is the UVB we need to monitor to ensure D3 production and we will not be getting that with a reading that looks good, but is mostly from UVA light.

The 6.5 was created to weight the reading very heavily on the 290-315nm range which is the UVB range associated with vitamin D production. So the 6.5 will give you a much more accurate indication of how good the light you are testing is at providing the UVB needed for D3 synthesis.

The 6.5 is the way to go for what we are wanting from the meter.

Perfect! Thank you so much. This is exactly what I needed to know. I'll get the 6.5 today.

Much appreciated!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom

Thank you!

The 6.2 works and that is what most people used in years past. Most people switched to the 6.5 model because it more specifically focuses on the part of the lighting spectrum that we are concerned with for our tortoises and D3 production. I have both, but most of the time I just use the 6.5 and use the UV index numbers for reference, instead of the micro watts per sq. cm that you get with the 6.2.

Hope that all made sense. What I'm saying is that I'd spend the extra 50 bucks and get the 6.5.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I've been thinking about buying one and threads like this one have pushed me over the edge. As soon as the whole house buying nonsense is over I think this will be my next animal related expenditure. I just want to thank everyone for the great info even though I haven't participated in the discussion.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I just replace my MVB every winter.
I only use it for a few weeks, so also must invest in a meter.
But I'd have to have it shipped and am worried about breakages.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
Thank you, friends.

I ordered the 6.5 directly from the the company. Lightyourreptiles.com was out of stock.

Not cheap, but worth the investment.

Again, your input is so helpful!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I just replace my MVB every winter.
I only use it for a few weeks, so also must invest in a meter.
But I'd have to have it shipped and am worried about breakages.
If you don't rely on artificial UVB very much then I wouldn't suggest buying one. I have one because my tortoises are inside for eight months out of the year. It is expensive but I figure it is worth it in the long run for me. Not for everybody but it definitely works for me.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
If you don't rely on artificial UVB very much then I wouldn't suggest buying one. I have one because my tortoises are inside for eight months out of the year. It is expensive but I figure it is worth it in the long run for me. Not for everybody but it definitely works for me.
Hi, Tina.:)
I also use my MVB for a basking spot heat lamp in the cold spells and to give the 14 hours daylight, so it performs a triple function. I know I could just buy a heat lamp, but just in case we have a long, grey cold weather, i use the MVBs to feel safe. More for my benefit than TIdgy's.;)
I have to have stocks as I cannot buy stuff here, so when i go abroad come back with loads of stuff that I will probably never use.:rolleyes:
But it's there, just in case.:)

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
Hi All!

I got my 6.5 Solarmeter today. Came in perfect condition from the company. Good, safe packing for those of you who were worried.

I'm using 2 small Megaray 70 watt MVB. They are both about 4 mos old, and produce readings of 4 or so at the substrate level. I use those for heat and uv, and had to try many combinations before I found a way to get my enclosure gradient temps perfect. I get 95deg under the bulbs and upper 70s on the far side. The far side is lit with a HO 5 tube, but it's reading was only 1 on the Solarmeter. That bulb and fixture are only 2-3 weeks old. I'm ok with that being primarily for light.

So far, the megarays are holding up well. But I would not count on the HO 5 uvb tube from reptisun for any real uvb.

If you like, I can keep anyone updated as to how long I can get good output from the Megarays. Keep in mind that mine are the smallest size. They are 15 inches from substrate.