UVB BULBS?

JohnnyBoyTaylor

UVB BULBS?
Hi everyone. Does anyone use the bulbs (not sure what they're called) that look like normal household energy saving bulbs? It used to be said that the uvb from them wasn't good, but have modern ones improved?
Thanks
smile1.gif

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We still don't recommend using them. We still see people, newbies that are using them and have eye problems. It's not worth it.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I agree with wellington that we see too many eye problems in tortoises that go away when the coil CFL bulb is removed.

Tube UVB is a safe alternative and very long lasting.

An MVB works for species that need basking heat, but be aware that the UVB output of these bulbs decreases rapidly long before the bulb itself blows. An MVB should be replaced every 6-9 months.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello @JohnnyBoyTaylor and a very warm welcome to the forum!

Sorry, cannot help with your question, but hopefully the experts here can.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
UVB BULBS?
Hi everyone. Does anyone use the bulbs (not sure what they're called) that look like normal household energy saving bulbs? It used to be said that the uvb from them wasn't good, but have modern ones improved?
Thanks
smile1.gif

I think one of the problems with them has little to do with the original idea that UVC or some-other harmful spectrum output was a concern.

The coil bulb versus a T5 HO, both at 24 watts and the same diameter glass tube are pretty comparable but for one thing. That coil bulb blasts the lite from a 2 inch diameter of coil while the long straight tube puts out the same amount of light in the same spectrum, but dispersed over a 22 inch long area.

They are just too intense for the space. The recommended distance from the animal is the same for both to get the "UV" value. They are too intense for a very small spot.

This has little to do with all the other reasons CFL's are no longer a 'good choice' for lighting. Thier one advantage is the cheaper fixture, but that advantage is lost when you care even a little bit about waste and carbon footprint etc. You are essentially throwing out a whole fixture when the CFL burns out, not just the tube. That base is the 'ballast' and a super cheap not so good quality one at that. They all 'sing' even if you don't hear it. I think the noise from CFL's is horrible. Tube fixtures ballast is often a step or two better quality and the 'sing' much less.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I prefer the long UV tubes. There are many effective types available now to suit any application.

JohnnyBoyTaylor

Just looked at some MVB bulbs and some say 'do not use with thermostat'. Is that normal? I thought I'd defo need a thermostat!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
No you can't use MVBs with a thermostat. Temperature under one is controlled by its height above the substrate. It must be on constantly in the daytime to provide basking heat.

A thermostat is only used with a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) which provides ambient heat without light. Whether you need one of these depends on the temperature of your home.

Get a temperature gun type thermometer to measure the basking temperature accurately under the MVB

JohnnyBoyTaylor

No you can't use MVBs with a thermostat. Temperature under one is controlled by its height above the substrate. It must be on constantly in the daytime to provide basking heat.

A thermostat is only used with a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) which provides ambient heat without light. Whether you need one of these depends on the temperature of your home.

Get a temperature gun type thermometer to measure the basking temperature accurately under the MVB

You may have just saved me money then! I already have a termostat and ceramic bulb and was going to set these up for night temp. So for day temp I just need a MVB and adjust the height to get the right temp, roughly 30cm above animal?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You may have just saved me money then! I already have a termostat and ceramic bulb and was going to set these up for night temp. So for day temp I just need a MVB and adjust the height to get the right temp, roughly 30cm above animal?
It's hard to give an exact height. You need a temperature gun to get it right. 30cm is a good start. They're inexpensive from hardware stores and Amazon

JohnnyBoyTaylor

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Once you work out the correct height for the MVB you shouldn't have to adjust it again. A timer is handy so you don't have to be there to switch it on in the morning, you get a lie in, or to turn it off at night (you can go out!)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

JohnnyBoyTaylor

And you're a fellow Brit. Hello from Kent :)

In a closed chamber like a viv you will probably need a lower wattage than in a table.

Yep a Brit lol up in Cambridgeshire. Hello fellow limey!

Sorry for the 20 questions!

Timers already ordered and on their way.

I'm using a table for horsefields. Will 100w like this do though?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/gti/Rept...qid=1486159521&sr=1-71&keywords=uvb+heat+bulb
OR
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARCADIA-D...Q&clk_rvr_id=1162974863768&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

There was also this on Amazon. Very cheap. Sound same description i.e. dont use thermostat even, but doesn't say it is the mercury type. What do you think, good or con?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spectrum-R...qid=1486159521&sr=1-53&keywords=uvb+heat+bulb

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
How big/old is your tortoise? And what species is it?

Being British, I suspect yours is a younger animal that is captive bred (unlike ours that was wild caught and came into our lives in 1970)

Very small torts need higher humidity that you can only get with a covered enclosure. A tortoise table is only suitable for more mature animals that don't have such strict requirements on temperature and humidity.

For older torts, the shop bought tables are invariably too small.

JohnnyBoyTaylor

How big/old is your tortoise? And what species is it?

Being British, I suspect yours is a younger animal that is captive bred (unlike ours that was wild caught and came into our lives in 1970)

Very small torts need higher humidity that you can only get with a covered enclosure. A tortoise table is only suitable for more mature animals that don't have such strict requirements on temperature and humidity.

For older torts, the shop bought tables are invariably too small.

They'll be coming next week, 3 of them, around a year old......their daughter lost interest so I'm rehoming them.

I know what you mean, so I'm making the table so much bigger than shop brought. They'll have a humid hide, plenty baths and I was think of having a dish in the table big enough for them to get in. That all sound ok?

So will a 100w do me for the day bulb? Were any of the bulbs on the 3 links I put in my last post ok!?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
At a year old they really do need higher humidity

See this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

There is also no guarantee that the three of them will get on, especially when establishing territory in a new home.

Just to warn you:
As they grow and mature, you are going to need to allow for a minimum of 1.5x2.2metres per tortoise They won't stay cooped up small for long... and if it turns out that there's more than one male, you'll have to separate all 3. Pairs are a bullying incident waiting to happen, so just splitting one off isn't an option.

JohnnyBoyTaylor

At a year old they really do need higher humidity

See this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

There is also no guarantee that the three of them will get on, especially when establishing territory in a new home.

Just to warn you:
As they grow and mature, you are going to need to allow for a minimum of 1.5x2.2metres per tortoise They won't stay cooped up small for long... and if it turns out that there's more than one male, you'll have to separate all 3. Pairs are a bullying incident waiting to happen, so just splitting one off isn't an option.

Ah yes, I've had a look at that thread before as well. I know they may not get on, specially as they grow, but we'll see and I have plenty room to split them, particularly outside when suitable and with a shed enclosure I'm planning for when they're bigger. Also until then, on the table, I can make an enclosed canopy over the table to trap the humidity.

For now I really need to now if those bulbs will do? The 3 links I added above? And at 100w?

THANKS