Uvb and CHE...But no 'basking bulb'

Alice McCarthy

Hi please xould you help im really confused and dont want ti be doing something to harm my baby indian star.

I have set up my viv as advised with a uvb tube along the full length which is on 12 or so hours a day amd switched off at night. This provides his light requirement.

For heat i then have a CHE at one end which gives a temp of around 95f underneath it. This to me was his basking spot and provides the heat he needs during the day and at night.

Does he also need a seperate bulb to bask in? Or is the light from one source and heat from another enough.

Please any advise would help. He eats well and generally seems healthy but im worried that ive not seen him poo yet (weve had him a week) and he mostly just sleeps.

Thank you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Your CHE should be set on a thermostat and used to maintain the ambient temp around 80, day and night. You still need a basking bulb. I use regular incandescent 65 watt "flood" lamps from the hardware store. Basking temp under it should be around 95-100. Your basking bulb can be on the same timer as your UV tube.

Stars like it warm. I let my ambient creep into the 90s during the day, but I don't let it drop below 80 at night.

Alice McCarthy

Hi thank you for your reply!

The che is on a thermostat. I dont let it drop below 80 and the hot end is aeound 95. I measure it on a seperate thermometer.

Please could yoy explain what the extra bulb is needed for?

I thought the che privided enough heat. And ubv buob enough light

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi thank you for your reply!

The che is on a thermostat. I dont let it drop below 80 and the hot end is aeound 95. I measure it on a seperate thermometer.

Please could yoy explain what the extra bulb is needed for?

I thought the che privided enough heat. And ubv buob enough light

The CHE should be over the middle of the enclosure and is used to maintain a minimum ambient temperature all over the enclosure.

A basking bulb is meant to simulate the sun. When outdoors, a turtle or tortoise will move into a bright sunny patch to warm up. They associate light and body warming heat. An incandescent basking bulb simulates this for them when indoors. If they feel too cool, they can see the light and move over into it or near it to get warmer. When they feel warm enough, the can see the light and avoid that warmer area until they need it again. Your tortoise needs a "sunny" warm spot when indoors.

Alice McCarthy

Hi okay i think i understand. I cant change ot immeadiately. Will hos health be greatly damaged? Im worried now. He does tend to stay in the hot part but not directly under the che.

Cost wise ill put it on credit if need be but his vivarium only has one holder for a bulb. It has a ceramic holder for the che. Can a basking bulb be put in this? Also is nother thermostat needed for the basking bulb?

Ill have to try to work out how to fit a che to the middle there us no bracket or hole in the roof.

I bought the vivarium already set up.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's time for a reconfiguration, Alice. You're going to have to forget the set up as is, and improvise. They sell these on Amazon:

You can buy a couple, one for each end. Be sure to buy the fixtures with a ceramic base. The bulbs and CHE get too hot for the standard Bakelite fixture (Notice the white part at the back of the dome):

ceramic clamp light.jpg

Just remove the clamp and hang the light/CHE.

Here's what my baby desert tortoise habitat looks like with a home made light stand:

christmas tree bin-1.jpg

Alice McCarthy

Hes kept in a vivarium though as i believed closed enclosures are better for young indian stars so i dont think hanging lights would work.

Ill have a look when i get in and maybe i could put a basking bulb into the ceramic holder the che is currently in and drill another ceramic holder bracket into the middle for the che. And buy another thermostat for the basking bulb? Which could go on a time with the uv bulb?

I was told when i got him the two lanps would be enough so im really panicked now. He always seems toasty warm when i handle him so i dont think hes getting cold.

Alice McCarthy

Also would swapping the bulbs be a option for now? Basking in the day and swap to che for night time?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Also would swapping the bulbs be a option for now? Basking in the day and swap to che for night time?

You can theoretically do this, but practically, it's a challenge because both bulbs get incredibly hot and removing them hot isn't good for your hands (use hot pads) or the bulbs (which are easier to break when hot).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hes kept in a vivarium though as i believed closed enclosures are better for young indian stars so i dont think hanging lights would work.

Ill have a look when i get in and maybe i could put a basking bulb into the ceramic holder the che is currently in and drill another ceramic holder bracket into the middle for the che. And buy another thermostat for the basking bulb? Which could go on a time with the uv bulb?

I was told when i got him the two lanps would be enough so im really panicked now. He always seems toasty warm when i handle him so i dont think hes getting cold.

You will need to add another fixture to accommodate your basking bulb.

More explanation: There are four elements to be concerned with for heating and lighting.
1. Basking heat. This is what we talked about earlier in this thread. Your bulb should be on a timer for 12-13 hours a day. Adjust the basking temperature under the bulb by raising or lowering the bulb and fixture, or raising or lowering the wattage of the bulb. Plain old 65 watt flood bulbs work well for me, but you might need something bigger, smaller, or you might need to run it through a rheostat to get the right temp under it.
2. Ambient heat 24/7. CHE set on a thermostat. Boom! Done.
3. A florescent tube set on the same timer should meet your tortoises UV and lighting needs. Pick your bulb based on mounting height.
4. If additional lighting is needed because the enclosure looks a little dim, then you can add another long florescent tube and set it on the same timer as your basking lamp.

I know this all sounds daunting at first, but it will make a lot of sense once you set it all up. We will help you along the way. You don't have to do this all on your own.

I typed this up for sulcatas and leopards, but I house my stars identically:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I drape a sheet of plastic over my tortoise enclosure, lights and all, to make a closed enclosure.

Alice McCarthy

Okay thank you guys! I think i get.

A the weekend im going to buy a basking bulb with a ceramic fitting to screw into the top of the vivarium and run it through a thermostat.

Im also hoping to unscrew the CHE and reposition to the middle of the enclosure leaving it on the current thermostat.

The che wants to be around 80 for ambient temps in the middle and the basking spot around 95 to my understanding.

My step dad is quite handy so between us im sure a new fitting should be possible.

When its set up ill post pictures.