Uromastyx!

Killerrookie

I have a question and detected over the Internet.. I don't know if it's not safe to use loose soil for uromastyx or not.

Killerrookie

Nice, that's what I have, the repti-bark AHS then the coconut coir. Nice uro.
I'm glad I have so much types of substrates so I don't have to go out and buy!! Thank you for the help!! Tomorrow I'll go out and buy seeds and collard greens!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mine likes bird seeds, dried split peas, and some of the other smaller dried beans that are recommended for them that I can't think up. Also the greens.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I do. I will see mine rubbing himself against stuff, like it not only itches, but wanting to get the dead skin off. I never pull the skin off, let that happen by its self. However, when I do give him a soak it does seem to give him some relief and seems to make the shedding a little less irritating for him. So yeah, give him a nice warm soak.

Killerrookie

I do. I will see mine rubbing himself against stuff, like it not only itches, but wanting to get the dead skin off. I never pull the skin off, let that happen by its self. However, when I do give him a soak it does seem to give him some relief and seems to make the shedding a little less irritating for him. So yeah, give him a nice warm soak.
Thank you for all the extra info! It helps a lot learning more about them and getting them in the best care possible.

Killerrookie

Wellington I have one more question it's about supplements. Everyone on the internet is saying different things about it so I wanted to ask what you do for supplements? How often do you give them?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not big on supplements. I'm also not regular with what I do give, I'm talking adults. I give more of each regularly when young or first purchased, depending on where they came from.
For my adult uro I give calcium and a multi vitamin, any kind I have or happen to pick up. Not stuck on any particular brand. I give when ever I think of it.
I have had my uro for over 6 years and except for the first six months or so, I have fed him this way. He wasn't a baby when I got him. I can't remember though how old he was. I think between 6-12 months. I also will feed other greens then what I listed in my other post, just not as often and don't know the names of some of them. Pretty much anything I feed my tortoises. The seeds and dried beans he has available 24/7

Killerrookie

I'm not big on supplements. I'm also not regular with what I do give, I'm talking adults. I give more of each regularly when young or first purchased, depending on where they came from.
For my adult uro I give calcium and a multi vitamin, any kind I have or happen to pick up. Not stuck on any particular brand. I give when ever I think of it.
I have had my uro for over 6 years and except for the first six months or so, I have fed him this way. He wasn't a baby when I got him. I can't remember though how old he was. I think between 6-12 months. I also will feed other greens then what I listed in my other post, just not as often and don't know the names of some of them. Pretty much anything I feed my tortoises. The seeds and dried beans he has available 24/7
Thank you! Yeah there's not much to go off of on the web. Also I gave mine a water bowl. They say they rarely drink from water but he was drinking some yesterday so I'll leave it in there.

Killerrookie

@Willington
So I went out and bought some seeds and lentils! Here are some pics hopefully they are fine for him to eat.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1485731023.710541.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1485731041.851255.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1485731033.347221.jpg
Also bought some produce: Acorn Squash, Butternut Squash, Romaine lettuce, Bok Choy, Collard greens, carrots.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I used to put a water bowl in with mine too. I never did see him drink so stopped. I had asked another member that I can't remember their name now, about having water available and they confirmed it wasn't needed. I'm sure it won't hurt anything to have a small one available though. I do make sure the greens I feed are rinsed just before feeding and I do my dry them. If he eats them right away, he's getting some water.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Kale, arugula, mustard and collard. Tried some cactus, but he wasn't interested. I also buy the plainest bird seed I can find. The stuff that has not color
Millet seed
And I never had a water bowl.
I soaked them about once a month and I used "play sand". (I know better now)
Mine also like wax worms every now and again.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Every couple weeks I'd just spray down a couple of the layered rock piles I had in my enclosure. My female seemed to be more of an enthusiastic rock licking water drinker than my male. And I always fed my greens right after rinsing them as well to help with water intake. But mine seemed to like the weeds better once they dried out and were for the most part just dried greens. Mine, from what I remember enjoyed the frozen, chopped mixed veggies, (carrots, peas, corn…)