URGENT- 'Hero' People w/ Reptile

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
Hi everyone.
I have a favor to ask-
Do you know of any person, dead or alive, who did something revolutionary in the animal/reptile area?

I was going to do Susan Tellem (American Tortoise Rescue founder) but I don't think she is well known enough yet.

Maybe just someone who is known for making some sort of break through fo zoos, or pet stores. Anything animal related.

Thanks! Much appreciated. I have until 6 tonight, and am searching google but the more minds the better!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
How about the man in Calif . He has protected area for torts in the hills . Goes over seas and he works with the plow shares . He had a show about 6 months ago on pbs
Or the Fife brothers in AZ he has rote many books about turtles and tort s

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aldabraman is pretty amazing with his luck and Aldabran tortoises.

Then there's Vic Morgan. He has had just about the best luck in the U.S. with his Manouria breeding program.

Grandpa Turtle might have been talking about Eric Goode. (Behler Chelonian Center - Ventura Calif.)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
This why I like you Yvonne G. You Evan get in my mind and know what I'm thinking . I was hoping to meet you in Mesa last Nov. thank you again

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I really wanted to go...and I was planning on it. But as the time grew closer, I started getting more and more nervous about leaving the house and animals. It was such a big relief when I let Tom know I wouldn't be going. Really a load off my mind. When you get right down to it I think I may have a touch of agoraphobia. I've never actually been diagnosed, but if I didn't have to go shopping, etc. I wouldn't leave the property.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Yvonne that's what they told me . And I do understand my step-mother had Agoraphobia also but mane some day my wife and I will have to come to Calif. and visit .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Richard Fife introduced the concept of humidity for leopards and sulcatas. I can't think of anything more monumental than that. He also funded and provided the animals to prove temp sexing for sulcatas. To my knowledge they are the only species where the temperatures to create males or females are actually known, lab tested and confirmed. He's also at the forefront of eliminating the stupid 4" rule. He also bred and produced the first Ivory sulcatas. The man has accomplished a lot in regards to tortoises.

Bert Langerwerf is another one. He captive bred so many species for the first time. He revolutionized outdoor housing for many tropical species in temperate climates. He introduced "super worms" to the hobby. He's the first guy I know of that was mass producing and feeding roaches for insectivores. He imported his own Argentine black and white tegus, swapped their internal clocks form Southern Hemisphere seasons o Northern Hemisphere seasons and basically brought them into the hobby.

Then there is Bill Zovickian...

There are many people deserving of such recognition.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
At the risk of being ridiculed, I think God, the creator and designer of all living things, including our precious tortoises, should be recognized. Not enough recognition is given to the one who designed all species of animals and who had contributed the most to its continuance and survival. All animals were created magnificently; it's only mankind that ruined things for these wonderfully made animals. Since man was given charge over the animals, it's our responsibility to do what we can to ensure their survival. Therefore, we can recognize man's contributions, but I don't feel the need to recognize anyone for what God has done.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
*scribbles down names*
Thank you all! I'm going to see which has the most info available online.
:D

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
How about the man in Calif . He has protected area for torts in the hills . Goes over seas and he works with the plow shares . He had a show about 6 months ago on pbs
Or the Fife brothers in AZ he has rote many books about turtles and tort s

Tom said:
Richard Fife introduced the concept of humidity for leopards and sulcatas. I can't think of anything more monumental than that. He also funded and provided the animals to prove temp sexing for sulcatas. To my knowledge they are the only species where the temperatures to create males or females are actually known, lab tested and confirmed. He's also at the forefront of eliminating the stupid 4" rule. He also bred and produced the first Ivory sulcatas. The man has accomplished a lot in regards to tortoises.

OMG. I just dawned on me Richard Fife owns Riparian Farms which is literally less than 5 miles from my house!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Tortadise is doing some pretty cool stuff at his tortoise sancuary and you cant forget about his mom that helps out. He would be my suggestion

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Eric Goode. He is a hotel guy who donates millions of his own money to conservation and rescue. He does tons of work with Plowshare torts in Madagascar and has a huge tortoise rescue that he funds with his own money.

Ooooppps, didn't see your deadline. Maybe next time, lol.