URGENT HELP - Tortoise fell from height - Broke Shell

Haroon Khan

Higher protein will stress his already weak state! More fluids and minerals are far better! Tortoise are not made to digest high protein diets..

Haroon Khan

So sorry to hear this. Hope all goes well. Keep us posted.

Thanks, he is doing good so far! His antibiotics will arrive today! His shell is getting back together on its own, just keeping him clean with
clorhexadine and keeping him hydrated and his wounds dry at all times, the article i posted above is very detailed and helped alot!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Thanks, he is doing good so far! His antibiotics will arrive today! His shell is getting back together on its own, just keeping him clean with
clorhexadine and keeping him hydrated and his wounds dry at all times, the article i posted above is very detailed and helped alot!

Hi @Haroon Khan . I gather your tort is doing much better.

Please keep us updated.

Good luck!

Haroon Khan

@Gillian Moore, yea he is doing great and surprisingly very very strong! I gave him his first shot of Baytril .05ml diluted in .05ml of saline, as i read in the medical article i posted above that these shots are extremely painful and has to be diluted in saline or sterilized water for medical use (not sterilized by boiling, pharmacies sell sterilized water or saline for injecting inside body) Also i started dose of flagyl orally as the medical research also shows that Baytril alone does not cover full spectrum of Bacteria and so must accompany with some form of metronidazole (or in simple words with flagyl). So, Enrofloxacin + Metronidazole actually cover the full spectrum and must be given at 48hrs intervals 5 shots each at the advised dose in the article. One more thing I found out is that the strength of the medication should be calculated very accurately as both the medicines are quite dangerous if over dosed. . Same goes for flagyl. I will give his 5 shots in 10 days before attempting any shell repair. Most important part is that his wounds must be externally cleaned with Clorhexadine every 24hrs and kept covered but well aired so they the fluids dry off and healing process can kick in and keeping bacteria growth to minimal. He is eating well and passing urine and urates normally and I am following all your advice on soaking his food in water and giving him water rich vegies like lettuce and cucumber.. important note: don't put water in his access if his injuries are reaching down to his lower shell and water can seep in the wounds, i trued putting a very shallow dish, but he went all in for a splash and all his gauze got wet, so i am hydrating him with vegies only till his wounds are closed and dry and water can't seep in....

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenno

5 Year Member
Southern California
Saline may be preferable to sterilized water for injections, unless you use sterilized and microfiltered water, which is available. Sterilized water can contain the cell walls of some dead bacteria. Even dead bacteria can be toxic. Filtered injectable saline or water solves this problem. All of my experience comes from treating humans.

Haroon Khan

Saline may be preferable to sterilized water for injections, unless you use sterilized and microfiltered water, which is available. Sterilized water can contain the cell walls of some dead bacteria. Even dead bacteria can be toxic. Filtered injectable saline or water solves this problem. All of my experience comes from treating humans.

Correct, that is why i opted for saline available for use in humen IV and IM dosage.. that is much safer..

Haroon Khan

Update! My tortoise is doing good so far, jumping up and down, eating well and pooping in his food as usual, passing urates regularly and driving me crazy with new hide out inventions! I completed his baytril+flagyl doses and keep him cleaned with clorhexadine and covered in gauze. I haven't attempted any solution to close the cracks, but all the cracks are falling hard together on their own, no insides are visible now and all cracks have dried up, i am keeping him away from water and hydrating him only with vegetables and splash of water... after all his cracks are sealed and dried i will start putting him in water... thanks again to all of you for your response and support...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Update! My tortoise is doing good so far, jumping up and down, eating well and pooping in his food as usual, passing urates regularly and driving me crazy with new hide out inventions! I completed his baytril+flagyl doses and keep him cleaned with clorhexadine and covered in gauze. I haven't attempted any solution to close the cracks, but all the cracks are falling hard together on their own, no insides are visible now and all cracks have dried up, i am keeping him away from water and hydrating him only with vegetables and splash of water... after all his cracks are sealed and dried i will start putting him in water... thanks again to all of you for your response and support...
That is such good news. Well done :)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
AWESOME.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Brilliant!
Happy 2017 to you both! :)