Update:

Darrell1738

Here is an update of almost I think three months of having Mahoney! Here is his cage now. Kind of grown out a bit! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1490012000.635959.jpg
More pics to come!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The bulb on the left looks like a coiled CFL.
I just want to give you a "heads-up" that that type of bulb has been associated with eye issues and blindness in tortoises because of the way it projects the light.
(If you haven't already been alerted to it)
Otherwise, it looks very nice.

Darrell1738

The bulb on the left looks like a coiled CFL.
I just want to give you a "heads-up" that that type of bulb has been associated with eye issues and blindness in tortoises because of the way it projects the light.
(If you haven't already been alerted to it)
Otherwise, it looks very nice.
I usually have one of the repti-sun bulbs in, but I accidentally broke it the other day, so while I'm waiting for my other one to be shipped here, I had to improvise! It's gonna be about another week before the repti-sun uvb bulb gets here. Thanks for the info though. It's only temporary, I just don't want him going more than 1-2 days without uvb. Thanks for the help though!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
So much better than that hamster cage you started with, major props to you. This one is amazing

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
@Darrell1738 Great job on the enclosure. I love the way you have the plants as I am a firm believer that a tortoise with that type of natural hides will thrive much easier that in a stark, empty enclosure.

As far as UV - If you have had the proper UVB exposure correct, even 1-2 weeks without UVB will not hurt the tortoise at all. Vitamin D3 has a longer life in the bloodstream and if at proper levels, will not reach a harmfully low level in just a few weeks.

Darrell1738

@Darrell1738 Great job on the enclosure. I love the way you have the plants as I am a firm believer that a tortoise with that type of natural hides will thrive much easier that in a stark, empty enclosure.

As far as UV - If you have had the proper UVB exposure correct, even 1-2 weeks without UVB will not hurt the tortoise at all. Vitamin D3 has a longer life in the bloodstream and if at proper levels, will not reach a harmfully low level in just a few weeks.
Thanks! I just get so worried about him pyramiding. But his shell growth is amazing and now you can barley even tell he had pyramiding at all! His growth rate is starting to pick up too. I'm also a firm believer that they do better with the naturalistic setups. I think all animals do! All my pets except my beardy are in natural enclosures. I think it adds enrichment and they just seem to prefer hiding in the foliage more than hiding under logs and hides. More natural I guess. But Mahoney is starting to burrow, and has made a tunnel about 7 inches deep! Can't wait for him to be massive! Thanks for the advice!

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Beautiful enclosure! Check your temperatures. Mahoney might be burrowing because he is too hot. Charlie has dug several burrows but doesn't seem to dig them if he has a place to escape the heat or cold.

Darrell1738

Beautiful enclosure! Check your temperatures. Mahoney might be burrowing because he is too hot. Charlie has dug several burrows but doesn't seem to dig them if he has a place to escape the heat or cold.
It gets about 100 everyday in the basking area but the rest of the cage is about 80• f. I think he just borrowed bc he was bored, and had the ability to do it.