Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulcatifornia

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, California
Sulcatifornia said:
UPDATE:
My RF is doing well! We kept her clean and continued soaks without spraying though to avoid getting in the wound on top, and have continued using the ointments for her wounds and her shell rot. She's been eating very well and has been enjoying sitting under her heat source, more so then her brother, which I'm guessing is because she is trying to heal(I read somewhere on here that torts spend more time basking when they are ill, I didn't know that :)). We were able to remove the chunk of wood stuck to her side and the rest of the debris on her. I will post new pictures soon :).

We took her to the SDTTS meeting on Friday night. Dr.Boyer was giving a lecture on disease (there was a segment about dog attacks). At the end of the lecture Ginny showed my RF to Dr.Boyer, he said it looked like she'd done a lot of healing already and explained a little about what he would do if she was brought in to him at his clinic. Basically that he would remove the dead tissue and other material and try to get a better look inside the wound on top, and maybe some x-rays. Other then that she didn't seem to severe to him. I was relieved he seemed so pleased with how she looked.

This was my last update on the old thread, it was getting pretty long and I still have allot of questions and things I'd like to discuss. :)

We decided to try to work on her ourselves to see how bad the injuries really were. I feel it's important to learn how to handle situations like this at home especially in an emergency. Once we started removing the debris(after long daily soaks for the past week)we realized she was much better then we feared. I feel she could(with the right diet and care)grow back most of what's missing. Once we've gotten all of the dead bone and tissue I would like to know if there is anything else we can do for her aesthetically. Does anyone know anything about repairing a carapace with a gap like this at home? Here are some pics from when we got her and now. She's healed so much more then we thought!

Before.
15coffm.jpg

NOW!
2zszme8.jpg

Before.
28tyt5i.jpg

NOW!
352m16p.jpg

Before.
2a7wpef.jpg

NOW!
2ailrfs.jpg

30s9dhv.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
She looks much cleaner that is for certain :)...I would still strongly suggest antibiotics....as well as fly patrol ---they are horrible for any open surfaces (the nasty fly that is)...

Sulcatifornia

5 Year Member
San Diego, California
ascott said:
She looks much cleaner that is for certain :)...I would still strongly suggest antibiotics....as well as fly patrol ---they are horrible for any open surfaces (the nasty fly that is)...

When she's inside flies are not a problem but we put her enclosure outside for a little sun today and gave her a tight little dress to wear :)

2nstkb6.jpg

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
God bless you for taking care of her. I couldn't do it. Those are some nasty wounds.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
You have done a great job. Healing nicely. The turquoise rain slicker is an awesome idea.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
1.- She looks great compared to the original photos- congratulations!

2.- I'm NOT a vet or wildlife rehabber, so take this all with a grain of salt- maybe Kristina or Yvonne, someone with more experience in it, will chime in about this.

3.- Aesthetics aside, I think I am most worried about infections, parasites, flies, etc. getting into open places, the bone or the spaces between the bone and the shell materials. I think what I would do would be...
3.a.- Give it a good soak, then a gentle bath with some baby wash or shampoo and a soft toothbrush to clean out all the nooks, crannies, cracks, and gaps you can. Rinse with salty water. Dry him well.
3.b.- Anyplace you see discolorations, redness or fluids, or smell anything odd, I would apply anti-biotic and/or anti-fungal creme.
3.c.- Cover the wound with something that keeps moisture and stuff out, but lets air flow a little. Teguderm transparent bandages, 'Aluspray aerosol bandage (http://www.allivet.com/ALUSPRAY-p/10031.htm), etc.
3.d.- Repeat as instructed by the bandaging.

4.- I might use a Dremel tool or similar device to remove the 'overhanging' scutes in the 7th photograph- that front costal scute. I'd tape her down firmly to a chunk of 2x4 or something to immobilize her, taping her limbs inside the shell at the same time, then carefully cut or sand away the scute material that does not have any bone touching it in the back. Work slowly and keep the area from getting heated as you cut.

5.- Healing tortoises generally need a few more calories, and a bit more heat than normal. Is her appetite OK? I'd also boost the vitamin supplements a little bit, especially D and probably E. You really want to make sure she is getting good bone-building nutrients.

M

Maggie Cummings

Sorry Mark, I disagree...no salt water. Think about how much that would hurt! Use clorhexadine and water several times a day to clean the wounds. Keep them covered with ointment, raise the temp to 100 or so (keep her warm) keep her on clean paper towels feed her a good diet with supplements like TNT and frequently smell all the wounds for rot. Keep any exposed bone really clean, if you get infection in the bone it would be possibly fatal.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I don't know how I missed the original thread, but it looks like you're doing a great job. Good luck.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
maggie3fan said:
Sorry Mark, I disagree...no salt water. Think about how much that would hurt! Use clorhexadine and water several times a day to clean the wounds. Keep them covered with ointment, raise the temp to 100 or so (keep her warm) keep her on clean paper towels feed her a good diet with supplements like TNT and frequently smell all the wounds for rot. Keep any exposed bone really clean, if you get infection in the bone it would be possibly fatal.

I got the salt water bit from Mader's book and some other sources- but as I said, I am not a vet or rehabber. Saline solution (sterile salt water) is a common cleaning and rinsing agent that kills a lot of stuff without the problems hydrogen peroxide causes. It is often used to flush wounds and burns on humans as well. It certainly stings a bit, but the benefits outweigh the minor discomfort (especially when used as a rinse rather than a soak, etc.)

As old as the wounds are, do you think they would need such aggressive treatment? It looks like things are relatively healed. My big concern is how easily something nasty could colonize in some of those gaps between the bone and scutes. I would love to figure out a way to 'caulk' those gaps, but don't know of a safe method to use.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
You have done a nice job with her. I totally remember your story. Glad she's doing better.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Angi said:
I thought your tort got stolen out of your yard?

They had a few torts back then I believe. One or two got stolen and they aquired more.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Well, I can see how I missed this thread.... it happened before I was a member.

What a horrible story with a nice out come. This wound looks painful as well as stressful! I think the best you can hope for aesthetically is that a smooth protective exo-skeliton forms over the wounded areas and I agree with Mark that a Dremel tool may be neccecery to remove any extra shell that may harbor infections or snag objects. I'm just not sure how growth of surrounding scute will affect these areas in the future since damage occurs thru so much of the cuetical (growth area).

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Can't the vet patch up the holes with acrylic... I thought that I read that somewhere.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
Madkins007 said:
maggie3fan said:

I got the salt water bit from Mader's book and some other sources- but as I said, I am not a vet or rehabber. Saline solution (sterile salt water) is a common cleaning and rinsing agent that kills a lot of stuff without the problems hydrogen peroxide causes. It is often used to flush wounds and burns on humans as well. It certainly stings a bit, but the benefits outweigh the minor discomfort (especially when used as a rinse rather than a soak, etc.)

As old as the wounds are, do you think they would need such aggressive treatment? It looks like things are relatively healed. My big concern is how easily something nasty could colonize in some of those gaps between the bone and scutes. I would love to figure out a way to 'caulk' those gaps, but don't know of a safe method to use.

what year of Mader's? There have been LOTS of updates in the last 2 years.

No 'caulking' of gaps, breathing of wounds in shell treatments have been proven more effective. I think this guy's on the right track, with slow regrowth & healing. Many of you know my positive stance on honey, that's the only thing i would do differently is to add that & clean with chlorihexidine (aka nolvasan) should you need to.

CLMoss said:
Can't the vet patch up the holes with acrylic... I thought that I read that somewhere.

Sealing in infection with acrylic, bone cement, epoxy has been refuted in recent years.

I strongly recommend anyone interested or needing help with turtle wound care check out this information by David Vella.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-...4&bih=390&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&cad=b

grsthevet

5 Year Member
Good job. It looks to be healing well. Infection is the enemy of healing so keep your eyes and nose peeled. And I'm sure the salt water referred to in the above posts is 0.9% sterile saline. I believe that is what was referred to in Mader's book. This can be obtained from a vet or medical supply store for wound flushing and we use it all the time for that purpose. I would not advise mixing your own to do it. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.