Update on my tortoises

TheNorwegian

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bergen, Norway
It has been a while since I posted on this forum, but a few years ago I made an introduction post on my tortoises which you can find here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-tortoises.28806/

Even though no one remember me or my torts I thought it would be cool to give you a small update. It has been over three years since my posts here on the forum, but things haven't changed much. I've still got my two tortoises. The T.H. boettgeri is now 16 years old, and I've had him for almost 10 years, which is almost half my life.

The other tortoise is a Testudo Hermanni Hercegovinensis (I think) which has been here for about 3,5 years now. I don't know his exact age, and I don't even know for sure if he was captive bred either. This is the guy i got from a family who didn't have time for him.

I dont know what else to say, but here are some pictures of the two. The boettgeri is the one with an underbite. Both pictures has been taken in the last couple of days :)

8o.jpg tussi.jpg

puffy137

They are both lovely, congrats. Are you sure about the sexes? Mine are greeks , but silly me.:D:D I thought I had a gay tort until I realised the object of his attentions was really was really a 'she'

TheNorwegian

5 Year Member
Bergen, Norway
Thank you :) I am pretty sure about the sexes, they both match the "Male description" of the two species and if I let them meet they will fight, so I have them in separate enclosures.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Hi, I'm May. Handsome dudes! What are their names? And yours?

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome back hope you will be around more now . Nice torts . Have agreat tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

TheNorwegian

5 Year Member
Bergen, Norway
Thank you :) One thing I thought I could mention is that reptiles and amphibians are illegal to keep in Norway. This means that Turtles, tortoises, snakes, geckos, frogs etc. are not as common as pets in Norway compared to other countries. I only have these two torts, but I do have a permit on both of them because of allergies in the family.

Turtles and tortoises are pretty much the only reptiles that will be given special permits to own in Norway. The result of this law is that most of the owners of reptiles in Norway are considered criminals. What do you guys in other countries think about this?

Alaskamike

South Florida
Thank you :) One thing I thought I could mention is that reptiles and amphibians are illegal to keep in Norway. This means that Turtles, tortoises, snakes, geckos, frogs etc. are not as common as pets in Norway compared to other countries. I only have these two torts, but I do have a permit on both of them because of allergies in the family.

Turtles and tortoises are pretty much the only reptiles that will be given special permits to own in Norway. The result of this law is that most of the owners of reptiles in Norway are considered criminals. What do you guys in other countries think about this?
Interesting. I've never been in favor of what I experience as extreme control of a government over the people. Guess I'm one of those oppositional independent cusses.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Peter:

You should get a Dremmel and grind that lower beak in line with the upper one. If you keep at it, year after year, it will eventually grow like it is supposed to. Also, (and I don't know this for sure, just guessing by my own experience with lower beaks) try to get him to eat more calcium.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York

I see what you're saying... Like gangsters with giant snakes and gila monsters. But still tortoises are amazing! I think as long as they give permits it's all good :D

TheNorwegian

5 Year Member
Bergen, Norway
Hi, thank you for your advice. I give them good amounts of calcium and vitamins. My calciumpowder has no D3 in it, but the vitaminpowder do. Should I get the calciumpowder with D3 insted of the one without D3?

All I know about his beak is that it was injured when he was a hatchling, many years before I got him.

TheNorwegian

5 Year Member
Bergen, Norway
I see what you're saying... Like gangsters with giant snakes and gila monsters. But still tortoises are amazing! I think as long as they give permits it's all good :D

You have to have a "good reason" to get one, allergies are the most common reason. But without that its pretty hard to get the permit as far as i Know.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
You have to have a "good reason" to get one, allergies are the most common reason. But without that its pretty hard to get the permit as far as i Know.
What about moving into Norway with your tortoise, do they give permits for that?

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Thanks :) My name is Peter and my tortoises are called Åtto and Tussi. I am Norwegian, and I live in Norway, that's why you have never heard those names before :)
Hello Peter, Åtto, and Tussi. :)

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Homestead ,FL

Sadly this is what governments do. The US was founded on the idea of keeping the government out of your life- they used to put "mind your (own) business" on the currency to celebrate this ideal. Over time however -even here in the US the ability to do what you want and own animals is slowly slipping away because of political correctness and mindless complaining. Laws are continuously passed and bit by bit we all eventually lose more of the little sparkling tidbits that make life fun and interesting. I've only been keeping up with the wildlife laws in my state for the last 15 years and in that time so much freedom has been taken away it is quite disheartening to look forward. I try not to think about it.