Update for->INJURED BOX TURTLE...please help

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mandeville, Louisiana
The vet that might have been able to save his little foot was not available yesterday, today and tomorrow I HAVE to go to work so it won't be until Thursday that I'll be able to try again if I can get someone to see her but I'm afraid her foot is unsalvageable, I cleaned with warm water, hydrogen peroxide and neosporin yesterday and today I also rebandaged even though she somehow takes it off within a couple of hours but it still looks pretty bad and she won't eat. Right now I'm keeping her in my tort table all by herself any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434506162.809380.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434506177.188272.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434506191.957060.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434506207.876069.jpg

Nanchantress

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Can you keep him on clean towels instead of substrate? Like in a Rubbermaid tote? I just worry about infection setting in and spreading throughout the body. Wow, that is one mangled limb, isn't it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As above, do not use any substrate. Just paper towel. She/he needs a vet ASAP. There is nothing you can do to help that. Keep it clean and get to a vet, before it gets infected and spreads and does more damage.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
WOW!!That is awful. I'm so sorry! ! !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think the turtle will be ok for a day or so until you can get it to a vet, but like the others have said, remove the substrate and keep it on either newspaper or paper towels to keep it clean. It should have a good outcome once the leg is taken care of and you can get it on a regimen of antibiotics.