Unsure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashleigh B

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yucaipa CA
:tort:
My family is taking in a mojave desert tortoise who might be female and we have a male CDT, my mom and dad were unsure but I wanna ask; Can a male CDT mate with a female MDT(Mojave desert tortoise)? I would like some real answers due to being unable to find anyone who will give me a serious answer, all I've found it "I think they can, I'm not sure".
:tort:

Ashleigh B

5 Year Member
Yucaipa CA
We don't have the mojave yet. My dad is SamB on here so he will. Be posting a pic(same as me) on here of them both side by side. And another question;
Why shouldn't they mate? Would it cause problems for the offspring like deformation, illness, Etc?

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Guess I am uninformed. Thought a Mohave was a Ca Desert Tort. Anyone care to explain the differences?

Ashleigh B

5 Year Member
Yucaipa CA
A mojave originates from another continent over towards asia and erupe in the mohave desert, while the california desert originates here in california. The mojave is a subspecies the difference is mostly looks, such as shell coloring and shell appearance.
And I'd still like an answer as to why they shouldn't mate.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm afraid I'm missing the point of your question. The Mojave desert is in California, and that's where California desert tortoises come from. Your male is probably also from the Mojave desert. There is another desert tortoise that comes from the Sonora desert, but I'd be willing to bet that most of the desert tortoises in captivity in SoCal are from the Mojave desert.

The California Department of Fish and Game frowns upon allowing its desert tortoises to breed. There is a regulation in place that prohibits anyone from artificially incubating desert tortoise eggs. The fine is quite high, if you are found out.

Any desert tortoise native to California, whether from the Sonora desert or from the Mojave desert, belongs to the Department of Fish and Game. If you have one, you MUST get a permit to care for it, but its not yours, it still belongs to the DFG.

Ashleigh: If you are taking in a tortoise that comes from a different continent, you are mistaken as to the name - Mojave. That is in California. So we'll need to know for sure where this new tortoise comes from. If it comes from Asia, then you should not put them together. The pathogens each species of tortoise has inside it might make the other tortoise sick or even dead. Can we see a picture?

I just looked at recent posts made by Ashleigh's dad - SamB, and he's getting a Sulcata tortoise. This tortoise comes from Africa, and the desert in Africa is called the Sahara, not the Mojave. No more confusion!!

Ashleigh - No, these tortoises won't breed...well, a larger male desert tortoise might try to breed a smaller female sulcata, but the breeding won't result in any offspring. But because of the different size of the tortoises, your desert tortoise might get injured by the bigger sulcata. Not good to put them together. I've taken in quite a few sick desert tortoises because people put a sulcata in with them. Don't do it.

Ashleigh B

5 Year Member
Yucaipa CA
Don't worry, the sulcata we have is seperated from are CDT, and I shall have pictures of the MDT on thursday. We already learned that are sulcada doesn't do well with are CDT so we have them seperated untell we can create are new play-pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.