unsteady redfoot

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Hi all

Just got back off holiday and one of my male redfoots is very unsteady on his feet. Its as though one of his back legs is giving under pressure of walking, causing him to wobble. He's active, but not as fast as normal due to looking unbalanced. Just bathed him and now he's in the garden wandering and eating dandelions.
I noticed he was unsteady before we went away, so about 2 wks ago when I 1st noticed. I cant find any obvious objects in his foot and he has some power in his legs when I touch them.
Any thoughts anyone.

Thanks

Craig.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi all

Just got back off holiday and one of my male redfoots is very unsteady on his feet. Its as though one of his back legs is giving under pressure of walking, causing him to wobble. He's active, but not as fast as normal due to looking unbalanced. Just bathed him and now he's in the garden wandering and eating dandelions.
I noticed he was unsteady before we went away, so about 2 wks ago when I 1st noticed. I cant find any obvious objects in his foot and he has some power in his legs when I touch them.
Any thoughts anyone.

Thanks

Craig.

Could it be something he has always done but something you just took notice to? Perhaps just keep an eye on to see if it actually changes?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Is it possible for a tort to just be poorly like humans?
He's now finding places to go on his own(very unusual) very unsteady and slow as though he cant lift his own weight easily. But if I pick him up he wiggles all four legs like mad with strength. Still eating though, and still bobbing his head at passing females.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Do his four legs look to be of equal size?
Can you see anything at all, that looks odd?
I wonder if he is weak......... Sounds like he could be.
Would a good reptile vet be possible for you?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Do his four legs look to be of equal size?
Can you see anything at all, that looks odd?
I wonder if he is weak......... Sounds like he could be.
Would a good reptile vet be possible for you?
Hi. He does come across as being weak and fragile.
He seems a little quieter than usual and wants to be alone.
I just watched him trying to poop and 2 small pieces came out, he seemed to be pushing hard. I may be looking for things that are not there.
This tort has always been very active, but never the strongest on his feet. I believe before I got him he lived indoors in the last owners bedroom constantly, he is quite pyramided.

I don't know of any reptile vets around here. Although I do have a friend who uses a vet for the 100 torts she's had, and swears he's good, arrogant, expensive but good.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Bertha at one point began to drag herself around with only her front legs. It's one of the reasons I bought her to the second vet.
Unfortunately the cause is still undiagnosed so please let us all know what you find.
Maybe a parasite load robbing it of nutrients?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi. He does come across as being weak and fragile.
He seems a little quieter than usual and wants to be alone.
I just watched him trying to poop and 2 small pieces came out, he seemed to be pushing hard. I may be looking for things that are not there.
This tort has always been very active, but never the strongest on his feet. I believe before I got him he lived indoors in the last owners bedroom constantly, he is quite pyramided.

I don't know of any reptile vets around here. Although I do have a friend who uses a vet for the 100 torts she's had, and swears he's good, arrogant, expensive but good.
How far are you from Leeds Craig? There is a vet there who has written articles etc that a new member consulted recently - I will try to find his name if it is not too far away from you. Or look at BATK website and they have a list of tort vets.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
How far are you from Leeds Craig? There is a vet there who has written articles etc that a new member consulted recently - I will try to find his name if it is not too far away from you. Or look at BATK website and they have a list of tort vets.
I'm only about 40 mins from Leeds. Going to see what George is like tonight, then see about a vet. Contacted my friend about her vet. This is in Leeds. Maybe same one.
Hate vets. Anyone got any advice on what not to let a vet do.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I'm only about 40 mins from Leeds. Going to see what George is like tonight, then see about a vet. Contacted my friend about her vet. This is in Leeds. Maybe same one.
Hate vets. Anyone got any advice on what not to let a vet do.
Stuart MacArthur of Holly House Vets is the guy that another member uses in Leeds - I'd not personally heard of him but googled him after a 'lively' discussion about substrate and humidity - He does prosthetics for torts apparently.

I read a sad post about a vet who injected into the wrong area of back legs causing paralysis.
Baytril is not recommended (at least not for leopards but your RF may be OK) Don't know if its called the same in the UK
and unnecessary vitamin shots are all things I've read about but do a search and see if there's anything. I'm sure more experienced folk than me will chime in soon.

Hope your RF is OK

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Stuart MacArthur of Holly House Vets is the guy that another member uses in Leeds - I'd not personally heard of him but googled him after a 'lively' discussion about substrate and humidity - He does prosthetics for torts apparently.

I read a sad post about a vet who injected into the wrong area of back legs causing paralysis.
Baytril is not recommended (at least not for leopards but your RF may be OK) Don't know if its called the same in the UK
and unnecessary vitamin shots are all things I've read about but do a search and see if there's anything. I'm sure more experienced folk than me will chime in soon.

Hope your RF is OK
Yeah. That's the vet . my friend just emailed me the contacts of the hollyhouse vet, and to make sure I see Stuart or Sarah. I'll contact them later. I need a good vet behind me. So should make contact anyway. I tried to introduce myself to a vet a couple of months ago. They just wanted to check over and chip all my torts. Conversation finished abruptly when I realised she wasn't listening to me. Lol. Thanks for your help.

TMartin510

Fremont, California
Im not 100% sure, but I just saw a post today or yesterday with a video on it, I'm sure they will know. Or if it's not possible maybe YouTube and then link? Or vine or something like that.
Unless if you vid on your phone it may let you add that as an attachment just like pictures.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

Hope your RF is OK
Vets seem to be just as bad as doctors with the mistakes they make an the money they charge.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Vets seem to be just as bad as doctors with the mistakes they make an the money they charge.
I think it's even harder for vets though as the poorly animals can't explain how they feel or where it hurts.
That's why, with our torts, it's so important to find someone who knows as much as poss about them.
Unfortunately depending on where n the world people are not everyone has that option.