Unsettled tort

ziggythetort

My 3 year old tort ziggy has been really unsettled for 4 days now. Constantly scratching up the walls of his table and walking around the perimeter.
The temps are the same as always. The only thing that's changed is that the central heating has been put on as its getting cold in Scotland.
His climbing up the walls has resulted in me finding him upside down 3 times in the last 4 days.

What might cause this? What can I do to help him settle.

(I say him... Good chance it's a she!) ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1412895455.136855.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Is it possible that the humidity levels have drastically changed because of your central heat being on and your tort has really been impacted by this? Try soaking him some more and maybe mising down your substrate. Just a thought since u say nothing else has changed.

Last edited:

ziggythetort

Yeah, I wondered this. Ive been keeping the coco coir moist and because he's been upside down every day I've been giving him a bath every day... Dehydration panic!

Things going through my head are ... The dry heat of central heating, illness or medical issue, not getting outside due to weather change so frustrated (although he's not been out in the last month so it's not a recent change).

Thanks for your thoughts

jaredherman

5 Year Member
For a 3 year old tort I would say that enclosure is too small. A bigger space (as large as possible) with lots of plants so he cant see from one side to the next I think would be best.

ziggythetort

Thanks for the advice. His outside house is much bigger but the weather in Scotland isn't on our side for him to spend a lot of time in it.
I'll look into a bigger table. :)

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I'd say he hasn't adjusted to his indoor space. It's not only different but much smaller.

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I also would suggest that you stop rearranging his "world" each month....I would believe that is unsettling......Climbing the walls would not make me think that the tortoise is ailing...but rather just unsettled, which can happen for a number of reasons....also, this is a species that does not require HIGH humidity, especially with the size of the tortoise....I would venture to say that if the house heating is on, the enclosure may be getting warmer than usually....

ziggythetort

Thanks for the advice folks.

I'll try all these things. Up until 5 days ago he was really settled. Today he's still climbing the walls... :(

Can anyone post some pics of their indoor enclosures for some inspiration :)

ziggythetort

Oh I meant to say, I've had him for over a year and this is the first time he's acted unsettled. Could it be a medical issue?