1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

UK - TORTOISE HOLIDAYS (outside boarding ???)

Discussion in 'Regional Topics & Requests' started by risepark, May 17, 2017.

1. risepark

risepark New Member

Hi, new to this site. Have a 40yr old Hermann, and until now friends have cared for him while we are away. He likes to be outside ( in a secure area ), especially in the summer weather. Mostly, the only professionals offer only inside boarding. At a cost of £5 per day. I live in Nottingham, and would like to know if anyone knows of a nice place for him while we are away for 3 weeks.
  2. Grandpa Turtle 144

Grandpa Turtle 144 Well-Known Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Hi
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1495030949.072179.jpg
  3. JoesMum

JoesMum Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Hi

I am in the UK too

Regardless of country, I would not board a tortoise.

They don't travel well and many don't adapt to change well either.

Wherever you board would have to have near impossible hygiene standards to clean a pasture type enclosure between residents. The risk of a tortoise ingesting parasites or germs left by a previous enclosure occupant would be far too high in an outdoor enclosure.

Those kept indoors could either take an entire table as well as the tortoise, but otherwise could only ensure proper hygiene between occupants by keeping them on paper. No earthy substrates without a large cost to clean and change everything.

You are far better to find a friend, relative or neighbour to pop round daily and check on things, place food and top up water.

We did this for Joe over his 47 years with our family. He lived outside 24/7 when not in hibernation.

More information on how we kept Joe outside here
    http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/

Note for keepers of torts kept indoors: Put your lights on timers to make a daily housekeeping visit practical.
  4. JSWallace

JSWallace Well-Known Member

Hi I live in Derby. Got my tort from White Post Farm , between Notts and Mansfield, a few years ago. They said if I ever needed to she could go back for holidays etc. May be worth enquiring with them?