Types of owners?

yillt

Over the years, it has become more and more evident that there are certain types of owners. Not just for tortoises, but for all pets. But as this is tortoise forum I just state the tortoise owners.

The most prominent on this site is certainly 'the expert'. They are calm in any situation, know just about everything and can comment on everyone's posts within half an hour, helping the global population of worrying tortoise owners. Which leads me onto my next one...

The worrying owner:
I would almost certainly classify myself as this. You pick up your tortoise, almost shaking him just because he is innocently basking with his head and legs stuck out. Of your on holiday, you call the person looking after your tort every few hours and write out a book for them explaining the complex care of your precious tort.

There are many more for you to add,but I think these are the most prominent on TFO. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'd break it down differently.

1. Noobs. First time single pet owners. The life blood of our hobby. Deserving of our time, effort and help.
2. Long term single pet keepers. They love their tortoise, but don't want to devote all their free time to tortoise keeping.
3. The collector. Has several tortoises and loves them all. Frequently keeps multiple species. (Hopefully all in separate enclosures.)
4. The hobby breeder. Group or groups of adult breeders. Enjoys the long term maintenance of adults, and reaps the benefits of producing hatchlings.
5. The pro. The guy that has a large collection and makes a full time job out of maintaining, breeding and selling tortoises.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Over the years, it has become more and more evident that there are certain types of owners. Not just for tortoises, but for all pets. But as this is tortoise forum I just state the tortoise owners.

The most prominent on this site is certainly 'the expert'. They are calm in any situation, know just about everything and can comment on everyone's posts within half an hour, helping the global population of worrying tortoise owners. Which leads me onto my next one...

The worrying owner:
I would almost certainly classify myself as this. You pick up your tortoise, almost shaking him just because he is innocently basking with his head and legs stuck out. Of your on holiday, you call the person looking after your tort every few hours and write out a book for them explaining the complex care of your precious tort.

There are many more for you to add,but I think these are the most prominent on TFO. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I've been guilty of writing a book explaining the care of my tort before I went on vacation! In general, I'm #2 on Tom's list.

I have to add another type of owner. This is the one that doesn't do much research and only provides minimal, and possibly wrong, care, and only if they themselves aren't too inconvenienced.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I've had tortoises for over 30 years and my heart beats a little fast after all this time when I see them lying sprawled out in the sun. Does that make me a worrywart?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I keep many animals and I see them differently.
I will spare no expense to correct any health or habitat situations, but I just don't care as deeply about anything as much as my dog(s)
I can't say that I have a deep attachment to a tortoise or a fish. I enjoy them.
I don't know what type of an owner that would make me.

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
I think it's not only types of owners, but also types of pets.... I feel much the same way as zeropilot about my turtles, snake, gecko, fish, and cats - I will provide care for them, I enjoy having them, but there is no deep attachment there. But my bearded dragon, torts, and dogs are family, no question about it!

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I think it's not only types of owners, but also types of pets.... I feel much the same way as zeropilot about my turtles, snake, gecko, fish, and cats - I will provide care for them, I enjoy having them, but there is no deep attachment there. But my bearded dragon, torts, and dogs are family, no question about it!
It depends on the individual animal, except for dogs, that are almost all easy to love. I've had special cats and birds that were very loving. When an animal acts attached to you, it is easy to get attached to them. I've also had other birds, cats, and other animals that never really warmed up to me, and I was just a caretaker.

kelii

5 Year Member
Georgia

I have the exact attachment to the same animals! I enjoy my leopard gecko. She's neat to have around and no expense is spared for her care, but my dragon, dog and red foots are special to me. I'm not sure why.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Long term single pet keeper. That would be Mary and me. Not to say I wouldn't want more, of course I do. Sanity and a lack of space intrude into my thoughts and I sigh...

RV takes the entire back yard, and although she is an easy keeper she demands the entire tort spectrum for us. Having said that, I would adore a cherry head...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm a little of each of Toms listed categories except the last one. I don't really panic much anymore. But I do right a hefty detailed care sheet for my tort sitters. However, they still don't do the care giving as good as I do.

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
I'd break it down differently.

1. Noobs. First time single pet owners. The life blood of our hobby. Deserving of our time, effort and help.
2. Long term single pet keepers. They love their tortoise, but don't want to devote all their free time to tortoise keeping.
3. The collector. Has several tortoises and loves them all. Frequently keeps multiple species. (Hopefully all in separate enclosures.)
4. The hobby breeder. Group or groups of adult breeders. Enjoys the long term maintenance of adults, and reaps the benefits of producing hatchlings.
5. The pro. The guy that has a large collection and makes a full time job out of maintaining, breeding and selling tortoises.
One break down you did not include......The Rescuers : Someone who takes on somebody else's mistake and tries to make the best life possible for them. I have a cockatoo that I have had for 43 years that had no feathers and was hidden in the back of a feed and grain store. Fully feathered now and definitely part of the family. a 4 year old German Shepherd that was turned over to shelter when it was still a puppy, Definitely part of the family, Now a young Sulcata that was part of a trade to a hedgehog breeder; who had no experience or desire for it. Definitely working his way into the the family status. Now when I go into pet stores for food or supplies I have to avoid checking animals being sold. I can no longer go to animal expos. And definitely avoid animal shelters.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
One break down you did not include......The Rescuers : Someone who takes on somebody else's mistake and tries to make the best life possible for them. I have a cockatoo that I have had for 43 years that had no feathers and was hidden in the back of a feed and grain store. Fully feathered now and definitely part of the family. a 4 year old German Shepherd that was turned over to shelter when it was still a puppy, Definitely part of the family, Now a young Sulcata that was part of a trade to a hedgehog breeder; who had no experience or desire for it. Definitely working his way into the the family status. Now when I go into pet stores for food or supplies I have to avoid checking animals being sold. I can no longer go to animal expos. And definitely avoid animal shelters.

I would lump the rescuer in with number 2. But if you really want to… we can make an additional category:
2a. The rescuer.

:D

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I would put myself squarely in "The Rescuer" category, for a number of reasons but one of them may sound strange....economy. I would more likely end up with something given to me because the owner abandoned it or no longer wanted it for some reason, than to purchase an animal I wanted with money (which I don't have!). So quite a few of my animals are "rescued" or adopted. Sometimes I will "rescue" an animal, keep if for a while and bring it back to good health and then find it a good home - that is totally satisfying to me.
So I am a Rescuer. But not a hoarder...there is a difference! Hoarder is another category and an undesirable one!

eric joranson

I would lump the rescuer in with number 2. But if you really want to… we can make an additional category:
2a. The rescuer.

:D
yes I think so...because it seems that all rescue animals need additional time in almost every aspect; to try and undo the negative starts that they had. So if don't want to give up your free time; I would stay away from rescues. As for myself; its how I like to spend my free time; so its a win/win.

Greta16

Western Maine
I am certainly a noob, but I've learned so much from all of you. Is there a catagory for a noob that sees when other owners are doing things terribly wrong and want to speak up but don't want to be a know it all as I'm so new?

eric joranson

I am certainly a noob, but I've learned so much from all of you. Is there a catagory for a noob that sees when other owners are doing things terribly wrong and want to speak up but don't want to be a know it all as I'm so new?
its an open forum...and you are encouraged to have your voice heard.