Two wild leopard tortoises...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Cool! Where? Judging by the darker colors I would guess to the South. They tend to be lighter than this around Johannesburg and darker than this near the Cape, so I'm really curious where these ones were found.

The most recent study that I have seen was from 2010 and it listed 6 different "clades" within South Africa. I wonder where this one is from.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Cool! Where? Judging by the darker colors I would guess to the South. They tend to be lighter than this around Johannesburg and darker than this near the Cape, so I'm really curious where these ones were found.

The most recent study that I have seen was from 2010 and it listed 6 different "clades" within South Africa. I wonder where this one is from.
Sabi Sands, game reserve.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sabi Sands, game reserve.

Oh wow. I looked it up. That place looks fantastic.

So its up in the North East of RSA. Interesting. I've never been up that way, so this was very cool to see. Thank you for posting these for us.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Sorry for not replying, internet has been quite scarce here.

The bigger one was definitely a female, the smaller one we don't know. It was definitely the more active and feisty one!

I will be going to Cape town over the next few days so I am hoping to see a couple Chersina angulata.

In the reserve they also had Spekes hingebacks, but they almost never see them.