TWEAK YOUR BEAK….HOW TO INFO

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
A piece of flagstone within your set up ....using it as a "service plate" will help out. Also try and keep a piece of cuttlebone within the enclosure at all times as well.This will provide your tort with calcium intake as well as honing the beak.
JD~:)
Got both that you suggested, I had one with an overgrown beak, I was going to wait until she tamed up a bit before I tackled that beak, however feeding her on a stone plate and providing cuttlefish seems to have corrected it. :)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Iny
A piece of flagstone within your set up ....using it as a "service plate" will help out. Also try and keep a piece of cuttlebone within the enclosure at all times as well.This will provide your tort with calcium intake as well as honing the beak.
JD~:)
In the wild would they bite down on ripe nuts. For example Brazil nuts.

HotdogKnight

Southampton, UK
What are the motions for trimming the beak of a yearling/young tort? I'm still handling mine like he's made of glass, I can't imagine having to hold him to file his beak.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Thank you for this post. Benny started clicking and looking at this I can see he beak is going to need filing. Is there a way to file the lower part of the beak to prevent breakage, or is that a task a vet needs to perform?

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I did it! I got up the gumption to tackle my 30 pound sulcata's beak all by myself. I just used some toenail clippers. It isn't perfect, but I did get most off. He just had three lines going down, very weird. He eats on a stone now, so he should be good. He got a treat afterwards because he was so awesome. He just climbed in my lap and never tucked his head in. I need to finish it with a nail file, but so proud of myself.