TWEAK YOUR BEAK….HOW TO INFO

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Sierra Vista, AZ
Thanks! I know my turtle needs her beak trimmed/filed, but I am going to have to take her to a doctor to do it because it really hurts when she closes her shell on my fingers!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
pascualthetortoise said:
Hello! I have a large 18 year old sulcata. We got him last year so we are still new with this. I noticed his beak isn't very smooth. It has two cracks in it that seem to have gotten more pronounced over the last year. Do you have any advice? Do I trim the longer parts or somehow fill in the chips/cracks?

Trim the longer parts you see present. The beak itself should rebuild itself over time ( actually grow out) , but you may want to consult your veterinarian if the beak is growing back abnormally(this maybe from a diet or mineral lack ). A tortoise beak will usually be worn away naturally by eating on a stone or flat rock, or by gnawing on cuttlebone.

J~

tyrone

Our school tortoise's beak looks longer than when we got him, does it need trimming?
Do all breeds need trimming like the one at the start of this post, right back like a top lip?

Attachments

• 2014-02-07 14.17.12.jpg
    2014-02-07 14.17.12.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 143

tyrone

Our school tortoise's beak looks longer than when we got him. He seems to use it to pull bits off his food. Do all species need trimming back as in your pics, just like a top lip?
We've tried feeding him on a stone, but the food falls off and once it's got soil on it, he's not interested.
I'm trying to post a pic, I added it as an attachment. That's showing in my profile, but no post?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Tyrone,
Your picture showed up in your post before your last one. I believe that like fingernails, the beak continues to grow in regard to all tortoises and turtles. Some specie may have harder beaks that grow slower than others, but I'm guessing on that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hey, Tyrone: Your tortoise really should be taken to a vet and have his beak trimmed. The top beak is too long, excessively so. The bottom beak was probably also too long, which caused it to break off. It broke off very short, and probably was pretty painful when it happened. You don't want the top beak to break off and cause pain.

tyrone

Yvonne G said:
Hey, Tyrone: Your tortoise really should be taken to a vet and have his beak trimmed. The top beak is too long, excessively so. The bottom beak was probably also too long, which caused it to break off. It broke off very short, and probably was pretty painful when it happened. You don't want the top beak to break off and cause pain.

Thank you, will sort that then. I can't see anything wrong with the bottom beak, are you just guessing?

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Tyrone, imagine your fingernail growing out REALLY long. Like 6 inches. Then its snaps off!!! It snaps LOW.. Into where the nerve is. Thats what happened when his bottom beak broke.

tyrone

What I'm asking is, why have you got it into your head that his bottom beak is broken? There's no sign of damage there that I can see?

claire.petrie.7

Lochgelly, Fife
Thanks for this I was just wondering how to do this. I have a pedi paw al try this tomorrow. I hope my tortoise doesn't fall out with me and not make an appearance for a few days x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j156ghs

5 Year Member
Vail Colorado
On my computer the last half (probably photos) comes up as gibberish and a series of a few

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Alright its getting to be time to think about doing this the first time. Nanks beak isn't excessively long like a huge nose hanging down, and i'd never let it get to that point. I don't want to start a new thread on this since this is here and its exactly what I need, but the pictures to show me how in the original post no longer show up and I'm left with questions on it. I have a little nail Dremel with the perfect attatchment to use, but I have no idea how to do it with the pictures missing, do you have to prop their mouth open to it doesn't file on their lower jaw? I know how to hold his head out provided I can do it alone hold him in place and work on the beak all at once. But this is a VERY skiddish tort so it will not be easy, but I'm hoping to be able to do it myself and avoid the extra stress of a vet trip and trimming, plus since I plan to have him forever and to have more its something I may as well learn to self do. Didn't know if anyone could see the pictures and try to repost them or post some of your own so I can understand how to actually hold and put the dremel to the beak.
Thanks in advance!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
undefined

TWEAK YOUR BEAK….HOW TO INFO
In some cases your tortoises’ beak may need to be trimmed. This procedure may need the assistance of a helper with a “squeamish” and or larger animal. The most important part is … YOU have to be careful not to trim too much!
The “ Beak” or front part -upper lip is made out of Keratin , pretty much the same as what (human) fingernails are…. So they grow constantly. When trimming you have to be careful not to trim too much as there is blood supply to the “base” of the beak. A nice thing to have on hand is silver nitrate sticks , or some other forms of sterile topical “stop bleed” in case you nick a vessel.
I use a small Dremel (hobby/craft rotary tool), with a 90* angle attachment that provides a nice flat straight approach as well as a better view to gently grind off a tortoise beak's rather it be extra growth and or split beaks ( common in larger species).
Most tortoises aren't to cooperative when it comes to this timely event …. they are very strong…… and can be stubborn and have their shells to hide in.
Getting your tortoise to poke its head out of his shell in some cases takes longer than actually trimming its beak…..while other tort’s this procedure doesn’t tend to be too bothersome and if your lucky the tortoise remains somewhat calm.
Here is one of my adult female CherryHeads who always seems to have exponential growth on her beak giving her an overbite. Spring is here time for a trim….

Before…….
MRC35_zpsa7cf35fe.jpg

MRC36_zps70768710.jpg

MRC37_zps0fe6be12.jpg

MRC41_zps22e5e831.jpg

MRC43_zps2bba3db2.jpg

After ……
MRC51_zps8c884f0b.jpg

Will it be full price for a seat on the plane for my tort when it needs a trim. lol I don't fancy doing that.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Are there things to do that can help prevent an overgrown beak in the 1st place. Excellent demonstration.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
A piece of flagstone within your set up ....using it as a "service plate" will help out. Also try and keep a piece of cuttlebone within the enclosure at all times as well.This will provide your tort with calcium intake as well as honing the beak.
JD~:)