Turtles in Texas

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
My tortoises are at 90 degrees and 80% humidity. I don't know how my light bill is going to far .

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
Well, since all but one of my outdoor torts came out of hibenation last week when it was in the 80's, they are suffering in their indoor enclosure for the next week or two until real spring gets here. I still have not seen my mature male (Russian). All my baby boxies have come out for the spring but my adults and juveniles are still dug in and hidden.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
MrsBruce said:
Glad to hear they are ok. I hope u can find ur Russian :(

Me too. He is the first one I ever got and was going to be the sire of any future babies. He is also an escape artist. Nobody else can get out of the garden but he has managed it twice. The good thing is, once out of the garden his choices of where to go next are very limited and he was found pretty quick both times. I watched him dig in for winter and checked on him for the first month of hibernation but we had a warm spell in January and I think he woke up and moved then.

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
I've had mine out in the garden off and on. They haven't been interested in eating. They've been in their boxes again since Saturday night. They're going back in the enclosure in the morning and by gosh, they're staying. This cold weather can take a hike.

MrsBruce

I hope he just may have moved spots :( I so hope u can find him. I agree the cold should really take a hike !!!

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Mine went back into her Rubbermaid during the third ice storm of the year down here in Houston. Been a crazy winter, ready for spring!

MrsBruce

It has been very crazy. Ill be so glad for summer to be here. Im so glad she is ok. :)

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
MrsBruce said:
I hope he just may have moved spots :( I so hope u can find him. I agree the cold should really take a hike !!!

Still no sign of him. I dug every inch of the garden looking and still no luck. Of course, I dug every inch last week and did not find he other male either and he was there the entire time. I am sure when it warms up enough for me to water it really well he will dig up. The other three are still inside and have started eating again! My box turtles still have not surfaced.

MrsBruce

Glad to hear that they are eating :)
I sure hope it comes up with your other turtles.

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
I'm very annoyed with the weather. It was supposed to be in the mid fifties today, which it was at about 10 am. Then it started raining/misting and it's about 40 right now. My boxies are in their enclosure but I'm worried about the temps being up and down and up and down, with them not eating. I think they'll be fine, as they live in the wild with this, but if they aren't fed up with it, I am. I planned a bunch of work in the enclosure today, but it was too cold and wet.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
MrsBruce said:

The boxies are in a different garden. The thing about Chekov is, he came up back in January. I found him out of the garden chilling out in the sun on a 40 degree day. I brought him inside and kept him on the cool side to make sure he was ok. He had gained weight and looked good. I put him back out in the hide box where one of the females was hibernating and he dug right in and I closed him up. Well, he got out and I haven't seen him since but my other male has a cracked shell that he did not have before and some scrapes on his shell just over his head which leads me to believe a kid or a predator might have dug them up. We get rain on Wednesday and back to warmish by Saturday. If he isn't up by then, I'm going in with the hand held claw and I am going to shred the garden. If he is in there, I will find him. :)

MrsBruce

I'm so tried of the weather to :/ we have been trying to build an outside enclosure but its been difficult

Saleama said:
MrsBruce said:

The boxies are in a different garden. The thing about Chekov is, he came up back in January. I found him out of the garden chilling out in the sun on a 40 degree day. I brought him inside and kept him on the cool side to make sure he was ok. He had gained weight and looked good. I put him back out in the hide box where one of the females was hibernating and he dug right in and I closed him up. Well, he got out and I haven't seen him since but my other male has a cracked shell that he did not have before and some scrapes on his shell just over his head which leads me to believe a kid or a predator might have dug them up. We get rain on Wednesday and back to warmish by Saturday. If he isn't up by then, I'm going in with the hand held claw and I am going to shred the garden. If he is in there, I will find him. :)

O no I hope he is ok and not hurt to bad :(. I sure hope you find your male lol I would be doing the same if he didn't come up soon