Turtle Trust

Michael Naz

How do I get my female Florida Box Turtle to trust me (or at least get her out of her shell)?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
How long have you had her? How old is she?

Is she captive bred or wild caught?

New torts can take months to get used to new surroundings - even those reared in captivity. If this is an animal taken from the wild, don't expect anything quick.

We normally advise that you establish a routine so your tort gets to know what to expect and when.

If kept indoors then have the lights on a timer so they go on and off at the same time each day.

Start the day with a soak in warm water which will get her used to being handled.

Clean up the enclosure and place food during the soak.

Replace the tort and then walk away and leave her to it. At the moment you are big, scary and intimidating.

They're not social animals. Your tort doesn't want cuddles and attention. However, given time, she will learn that you're the source of yummy food and become less shy in your presence.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I have some that on the day I got them would come out nonstop and I have some that I've had for years that are still very shy. It's just their personalities. I agree with the above though, let them see you feed and maybe eventually they will warm up to you.

Michael Naz

How long have you had her? How old is she?

Is she captive bred or wild caught?

New torts can take months to get used to new surroundings - even those reared in captivity. If this is an animal taken from the wild, don't expect anything quick.

We normally advise that you establish a routine so your tort gets to know what to expect and when.

If kept indoors then have the lights on a timer so they go on and off at the same time each day.

Start the day with a soak in warm water which will get her used to being handled.

Clean up the enclosure and place food during the soak.

Replace the tort and then walk away and leave her to it. At the moment you are big, scary and intimidating.

They're not social animals. Your tort doesn't want cuddles and attention. However, given time, she will learn that you're the source of yummy food and become less shy in your presence.
Captive bred. About 2 months, and I don't know, but she is an adult.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
One of my sulcatas I have had for 8 years (since it was tiny) and it won't let me touch it's head or even get close for that matter. I have another sulcata I have had for a Couple months who wouldn't go into his shell if I pushed him in it. So I think it just depends.

M

Maggie Cummings

I hold mine a lot when they are like that. Put their face up by yours and talk quiet nonsense. Hold it daily, start gently touching his head after a while. Eventually start rubbing his head. Thank God I do that for months sometimes , but I have a desert type tortoise who has abscess sinus' and he's so used to me touching him that he will hold his head still when I put a rubber type syringe into his nares to suck out the snot. If they are plugged with dirt, I clean them out first using a toothpick. He holds still for me because 1. He's smart and he knows he can breathe when I'm thru, and 2. I always mess with all my turtles or tortoises heads. Hold'em socialize them, makes for better pets and an easier Vet exam.

Michael Naz

I hold mine a lot when they are like that. Put their face up by yours and talk quiet nonsense. Hold it daily, start gently touching his head after a while. Eventually start rubbing his head. Thank God I do that for months sometimes , but I have a desert type tortoise who has abscess sinus' and he's so used to me touching him that he will hold his head still when I put a rubber type syringe into his nares to suck out the snot. If they are plugged with dirt, I clean them out first using a toothpick. He holds still for me because 1. He's smart and he knows he can breathe when I'm thru, and 2. I always mess with all my turtles or tortoises heads. Hold'em socialize them, makes for better pets and an easier Vet exam.
Thanks! Ill do that. Sometimes I gently rub her head, and sometimes shes okay with it and sometimes she squeaks and her head retracts into her shell.

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
Make sure she's fairly warm, & then just hold her in the palm of your hand, which will keep her warm. Scratch lightly at the rear of her carapace, which will usually get a turtle to stick its head out - not sure why, but it works nearly all the time. Then don't move very fast, & let her get used to being in your hand. The view is different, & most turtles are nosy, & want to look around. If you can gently rub under her head without her yanking it back in, do so, but be, as the others have said, very patient. I can't remember any of our boxies ever being afraid to let us pet them, even the dozens of them that walked through our back yard every week when we lived in southern Louisiana, but I guess there are exceptions. Wonder if she was badly frightened by something that tried to eat her?

Ken

Michael Naz

Make sure she's fairly warm, & then just hold her in the palm of your hand, which will keep her warm. Scratch lightly at the rear of her carapace, which will usually get a turtle to stick its head out - not sure why, but it works nearly all the time. Then don't move very fast, & let her get used to being in your hand. The view is different, & most turtles are nosy, & want to look around. If you can gently rub under her head without her yanking it back in, do so, but be, as the others have said, very patient. I can't remember any of our boxies ever being afraid to let us pet them, even the dozens of them that walked through our back yard every week when we lived in southern Louisiana, but I guess there are exceptions. Wonder if she was badly frightened by something that tried to eat her?

Ken
Don't know, but it wasn't on my property. She's on a screened deck and the only things that get in are anole lizards which, any size, would be food for her if one ventured in.