Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
First fill up your big basin with water.
30l299y.jpg

Second, add a thirsty turtle. (Or in this case a tortoise. "Turtle Soup" just sounds better than "Tortoise Soup")
14e8kt1.jpg

Let it stew 20-40 minutes in the hot sun.
95ok9j.jpg

2z6s4fp.jpg

VOILA! Turtle soup!
2nsrxbd.jpg

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
How long do yours typically drink outta that thing...Mortimer slams his head in and drinks for up to 10 minutes...I don't know how they can do that without drowning...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I had a different version of that today.. Let the hose run, it made a nice puddle and they went and 'swam' in it for a bit.. got all nice a muddy..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
DeanS said:
How long do yours typically drink outta that thing...Mortimer slams his head in and drinks for up to 10 minutes...I don't know how they can do that without drowning...

Usually only for 3-4 minutes or less. Depends on how long its been since their last drink.

I only recently learned, from a non-tortoise person that they have to have their mouth AND nostrils submerged to be able to drink.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Turtle-soup does sound better than 'tortoise-soup'.

And be careful what you say Tom.. it will be misinterpreted and/or be taken personal.. regardless how you word it!!!

Water IN..... poop OUT - great recipe
36_2_25.gif

NERD

luvsulcatas

5 Year Member
Tom said:
DeanS said:

Usually only for 3-4 minutes or less. Depends on how long its been since their last drink.

I only recently learned, from a non-tortoise person that they have to have their mouth AND nostrils submerged to be able to drink.

Really? Fred shovels water into his mouth using his bottom jaw. Great pics!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I've NEVER seen a tortoise that didn't have their nostrils and mouth submerged...until today. Aladar was trying to catch the water out of the air when the sprinklers went on...what a time to NOT have my camera.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Tom said:
DeanS said:

I was told by someone, that they drink the water through their nostrils. not sure if that is true or not. but Littlefoot always has her entire head in the water to drink.

another reciepe for turtle/tortoise soup--- take your tortoise for a looong drive in your car. Littlefoot can poop 1 gallon worth of poop. and yes, I actually did measure it. Hey, I was curious!

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Laura said:
I had a different version of that today.. Let the hose run, it made a nice puddle and they went and 'swam' in it for a bit.. got all nice a muddy..

we did that, RV had a very nice mud patch going... then one morning we walked out to find a burrow. She'd built (excavated her own home)

Status
Not open for further replies.