Turtle ID please.

Lily Pad

lp2.jpg Hello. My turtle is 5 1/2 years old. We got her when she was the size of a 50 cent piece. I was told she was a Yellow Eared Slider which I have sense learned there isn't that type of slider. lp1.jpg Thank you for any info you may have!

Attachments

• lp4.jpg
    lp4.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 17
M

Maggie Cummings

Yellow bellied Slider T.s.scripta... they are from the Southeast and yours is big and beautiful! Does look like a female too.

juli11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Europe
I don't think it's scripta scripta. It looks more like a kind of pseudemys.
Trachemys has a wider head than this one.
Bit I'm not an expert of ID American water turtles

M

Maggie Cummings

Peninsula Cooter - Pseudemys peninsularia

Yes, I jumped in too quick and didn't really look at the markings on the head. I did wonder how a yellow bellied slider got that big...
Hanging my head in shame...:(

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Just beautiful! Such a vibrant color! >.< I want her! Lol

Lily Pad

Thank you everyone. So she is a Peninsula Cooter. I wonder if they get bigger than sliders? We bought her in Daytona Beach, Fl. I really wish she was a male. I hope she never lays eggs. I don't have a dry space other than her floating dock. Here is a pic of her set up. turt.jpg turt1.jpg

M

Maggie Cummings

I always have loved how they put their back feet when basking. I wouldn't worry about eggs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, if she does decide to lay eggs, she more than likely will just poop them out in the water. Then sometimes they eat them, sometimes not. But they won't necessarily lay eggs without a male. Then again, some do, some don't

Lily Pad

That is good news that she may never lay eggs. I heard somewhere that if she laid them in water, it could cause her to become sick & possibly die.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
That is good news that she may never lay eggs. I heard somewhere that if she laid them in water, it could cause her to become sick & possibly die.
Thanks everyone for your help.

They were referring to "egg binding," which happens when a gravid female will retain eggs inside her too long, while she searches for an appropriate nesting sot that she never finds. This is less likely to happen when a turtle is carrying infertile eggs, but is still a possibility.