Tuco's (Hermann's) new enclosures. Lots of pics

Lynsey

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Here are some pics of Tuco's new enclosures. San Diego, CA. I am a new tortoise owner and am trying to do everything right. Any advise is welcome.

Indoor enclosure (2' x 6')

New outdoor enclosure that I had built (Etsy seller) (52" x 48")

I have planted the outdoor enclosure with:
perslane
several sedum
3 varieties of dandelion)
peppermint
thyme
dwarf lavender
pansies
scented geranium
everbearing strawberry (for a treat)
forgetme nots
blue fescue
entire enclosure was also seeded with red and white clover (not coming up in the pic yet)

Also have hibiscus, chia, aloe, and Opuntia growing in the yard. I also plant a separate container with weeds and grasses for him to eat. I am planning on rotating them out as he eats them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Those both look great, but what is the substrate in the outdoor one? I worry your little buy might try to eat those white dots in the dirt.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
What did you use to hang the lights, they look so nice and sleek and I LOVE the art work.. Is that a photo of your little one?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was going to say the same things about the outdoor soil, before I read Yvonne's response. That looks like perlite and it could kill him.

All else looks great. Very well done.

DayDreamer

San Juan PR
I love the look of the outdoor enclosure!! those white dots worry me a bit though hope its not vermiculite or perilite.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
All the experts already voice their concern. Other than that, I will say you did a wonderful job. I specially love your outdoor enclosure. It is on the wheel too. Just wonderful.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I think your enclosers look great. I also made an indoor enclosure by connecting the 2 zoomed tortoise houses. If you would like to get more light into the enclosure remove the two solid pieces on top and replace them with plexiglass. It makes a big difference.

Lynsey

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Well shoot... I bought organic potting soil.. Didn't realize it had perlite. I bot some topsoil... Can I just dig out a few inches and leave some on the bottom and replace with topsoil on the top, or do I need to replace all of it?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In my enclosures whatever is on the bottom ends up working its way to the surface. For some reason many tortoises have an affinity for eating perlite, so I would not chance leaving it in there. You can always use that soil for potting lots of other plants for them to eat. It won't go to waste.

Lynsey

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Kinda wanted to kill myself or cry, but got it done.. Emptied it out and did it over. Now it looks the same with no perlite. I will get a pic soon.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sorry you had to replace it all. :( They both look nice and the tortoise is simply beautiful.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't think there is anyone who has been keeping tortoises for a while that hasn't had to do a few "re-do's" at some point. I sure have.

Congrats on TWO jobs well done! :)

Lynsey

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA

Lynsey

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Here it is redone. uploadfromtaptalk1394119622936.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Is that a log fence partially dividing the space? I love it! What a great way to break up line of sight. It's cute and very functional.

DayDreamer

San Juan PR
great job! dont feel bad about having to change it, like tom said everyone has had to do re-do's of their enclosures. I havent even got my tortoise yet and ive had to change up just my plan at least 10 times :)
your little guy is beautiful by the way :)

Lynsey

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Yeah, I got bamboo edging and used it like a retaining wall. The dirt in the back is higher too. Hard to see I the pic. I can't wait for him to go out there. Sorta want to wait for the plants to get a bit more established and let whatever chemicals that are on them from the nursery wash off.

Lynsey

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
UPDATE: Today was Tuco's first day (probably of his life) outside. He ate a strawberry (treat only), some clover and then buried himself. I also put sphagnum moss in his hiding spots (not pictured). And yes, that is a solar tiki lantern in the middle :) Though Tuco needed a night light....although he hasn't been out at night yet. Still a bit too cold.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Looks GREAT!!! You've got thermometers in there, I assume?