TTPG Conference - 2016

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I forwarded your idea to Russ, crediting you, and adding that they should put the call out to those thousands of recipients that get the turtles week educational packets.
Way to go! I agree yet I haven't presented anything in my field of master's work, so I realize I'm not helping... :rolleyes:
A "Russian Mud Turtle" is a person who offers encouragement to a animal interest in someone else despite what family, friends, or the social 'current' at the time indicates. My Dad thought I'd be living under a stair well at this point in my life based on the interest, my mother said something to the effect of "well hopefully you will out grow this before you need a job". My sister never held back telling me that 'everyone at school thinks there is something wrong with you' she's the one that told them. Even a university professor who helped with my reptile and amphibian boy scout merit badge (an ichthyologist) suggested that if I did go to college I should go into chemistry, it pays better.

The Russian Mud Turtles in my life were an aunt and my grandfather. Now you know.

At an older age Harold Carty was a Russian Mud Turtle for me.
Thank you for sharing your story. :) I've always tried to encourage my friends and younger cousins to study what they're passionate about. My husband as well, who's now seeking his second bachelor's. Woo hoo!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I THINK I may see @Will. Look for the guy in the middle wearing the black shirt with the white turtle on it, then look over to the left. Not the first head, but the guy looking around that first guy to the left of black shirt.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I THINK I may see @Will. Look for the guy in the middle wearing the black shirt with the white turtle on it, then look over to the left. Not the first head, but the guy looking around that first guy to the left of black shirt.

That was the result of my investigation as well.

Andy with ATC is next to Tom. Gotort was absent on Friday as well, I believe, so those are the only TFO members I knew about that attended.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
That was the result of my investigation as well.

Andy with ATC is next to Tom. Gotort was absent on Friday as well, I believe, so those are the only TFO members I knew about that attended.
What no ladies from the TFO attended ? Shame shame ladies !

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
A "Russian Mud Turtle" is a person who offers encouragement to a animal interest in someone else despite what family, friends, or the social 'current' at the time indicates. My Dad thought I'd be living under a stair well at this point in my life based on the interest, my mother said something to the effect of "well hopefully you will out grow this before you need a job". My sister never held back telling me that 'everyone at school thinks there is something wrong with you' she's the one that told them. Even a university professor who helped with my reptile and amphibian boy scout merit badge (an ichthyologist) suggested that if I did go to college I should go into chemistry, it pays better.

The Russian Mud Turtles in my life were an aunt and my grandfather. Now you know.

At an older age Harold Carty was a Russian Mud Turtle for me.
Harold Carty was a good friend of mine I got to know through my interest in turtles. Loved to visit with him at his place in Chowchilla and trade turtles. He had an amazing collection in that 1 acre pond!!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I came out here from Saginaw Michigan and never left here 25-30 years ago ! Be care full !
Hehe, I imagine it would be a wonderful place to live for my Russian tort. Michigan winters are too long for him sometimes and I think he gets bored indoors and misses his big backyard garden!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hehe, I imagine it would be a wonderful place to live for my Russian tort. Michigan winters are too long for him sometimes and I think he gets bored indoors and misses his big backyard garden!
And in Phx we don't get snow but if you want it drive 45 min. And your in the snow !

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Thanks for that link, Will. Don't want to hijack this thread, but that old one is closed for comment. I have posted some pictures of my pond and my Suwanee Cooter that is now 32 years old. I got her from Harold in a trade for some turtles I had he was looking for. She caught my eye while going over incubating techniques with him at his farm as she was just hatching. That was 1984.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Thanks for that link, Will. Don't want to hijack this thread, but that old one is closed for comment. I have posted some pictures of my pond and my Suwanee Cooter that is now 32 years old. I got her from Harold in a trade for some turtles I had he was looking for. She caught my eye while going over incubating techniques with him at his farm as she was just hatching. That was 1984.

IMO all threads are open for the dynamics of conversation. I know this is not a universal POV.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's not polite to hi-jack someone else's thread. If anyone wants to have conversation about something other than what the original poster started with, then it's polite and politically correct to start another thread about that subject. It also makes it easier for the program to perform searches, thus easier for the searcher, when only one subject is in a thread.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I don't care about deviations from the original topic in the threads I start. I'm all for open discussions that evolve into something else that may be interesting or helpful. It gets too confusing and less interesting to break up a discussion and move it somewhere else.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't care about deviations from the original topic in the threads I start. I'm all for open discussions that evolve into something else that may be interesting or helpful. It gets too confusing and less interesting to break up a discussion and move it somewhere else.

Yeah, me either. Most of my threads seem to devolve and that's quite ok with me. But a lot of other members don't appreciate hi-jacking. (like what we're doing now)