Tropical plants and Redfoots query

Lu_x85

Hi All- Redfoot specific plant question coming up!

I have recently ordered a number of live plants from an online reptile company in the uk and my word haven't they messed up my order!

I have a lack of some of the plants I have ordered, some slight errors in types of Fern sent and then some which I just did not order!

So my questions:

Is Asplenium Antiquum (also known as birds nest fern) edible to Redfoots and therefore suitable for planting in their enclosure? (Pic attached)

And is Adiantum Rad. (Fragrans) a suitable Fern for Redfoots? (Pic attached). I did order asparagus but got this instead!

Thank you :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    758.7 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    839.1 KB · Views: 9

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't worry about it. Ferns aren't on their menu and they probably won't eat them. But they'll make a nice addition to dress up the enclosure and give the tortoises a new place to hide.

Lu_x85

I had birds nest fern in a while back. They never ate it, but trampled it to death. :mad:

If a Redfoot did nibble either would either be toxic? I now of ferns which are OK for them but didn't know if that meant all ferns are 'safe'?

Hopefully mine will be too small to do any trampling at the moment!

Lu_x85

The adiantum will go in my planter where it can get trampled but can hang over and create shade. I might just risk the birds nests in the enclosure as I think they'll be nice for now while my tort is little! Thank you for the reassurance everyone!

Lu_x85

I had birds nest fern in a while back. They never ate it, but trampled it to death. :mad:

Well... Just put my new addition in to his new home! And the first thing he's done is rip a leaf off of the birds nest Fern and eat it! Really hoping it's not bad for him!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Well... Just put my new addition in to his new home! And the first thing he's done is rip a leaf off of the birds nest Fern and eat it! Really hoping it's not bad for him!
Its ok,. I looked into it hoping they would eat them, we have loads naturally growing in the woodlands around here, anyway turned out mine didn't want it. I think I'll try it again.
See if you can get a cold hardy grape vine going in your garden, you only need foliage not the fruit. I had 2 that were 3yr old at our last house, the foliage was ridiculous. Small grapes though, they were just starting to get mature and we moved house.
Where the photos of your guy and enclosure? :mad:..................:p

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Also hibiscus bushes at Aldi's £2.99. if you put some in garden now they will be ok next summer to eat. My hatchling an juveniles love hibiscus leaves, I don't have enough yet to feed to adults too.

Lu_x85

Its ok,. I looked into it hoping they would eat them, we have loads naturally growing in the woodlands around here, anyway turned out mine didn't want it. I think I'll try it again.
See if you can get a cold hardy grape vine going in your garden, you only need foliage not the fruit. I had 2 that were 3yr old at our last house, the foliage was ridiculous. Small grapes though, they were just starting to get mature and we moved house.
Where the photos of your guy and enclosure? :mad:..................:p

It's a relief that it's ok! He certainly decided he loved it! He's also a huge fan of cuttlebone! Here he is... Well I say he but he could be a she!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
It's a relief that it's ok! He certainly decided he loved it! He's also a huge fan of cuttlebone! Here he is... Well I say he but he could be a she!
Cool, looks cute. I always spray my hatchlings carapace in a morning when I feed him and later at tea time when I get home from work. How big is s/he. SCL (Straight Carapace Length).

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Oh.....he/she is adorable! :D

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
And another...
Your tort has just grown and the scutes have happened at the borders. Next it will fill with new keratin, so you must keep the tort humid, spraying the carapace helps, also soaking hydrates the tort.
I've blown and zoomed into your picture so you can see what I mean,. You can see the crevice between the scutes(this is normal). In order for the new keratin to fill that crevice it needs to be supple(I,e not dry). If it's bone dry you will get pyramiding. I can show you one of mine that has just past this stage. Give me a minute.

Lu_x85

The humidity is currently 78.6% and this is with the plants having been misted earlier today. I've got a good area of sphagnum moss too which should help with humidity along with the plants and regular mistings. We haven't misted since getting him (approx 1 and half hours ago). Would you suggest misting him now?

It's amazing that you can tell he's just grown! I'm learning so much from you! Keep the facts coming! Thank you :)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
The humidity is currently 78.6% and this is with the plants having been misted earlier today. I've got a good area of sphagnum moss too which should help with humidity along with the plants and regular mistings. We haven't misted since getting him (approx 1 and half hours ago). Would you suggest misting him now?

It's amazing that you can tell he's just grown! I'm learning so much from you! Keep the facts coming! Thank you :)
I don't mist my enclosure, if you forever mist the enclosure you will end up with stagnant substrate unless you have plants that are drinking it from the substrate.
When you feed the little one just spray her and the food.
My humidity is maintained from the coir being moistened at the start of setting the enclosure up and having 2 water dishes which gradually evaporate.
I've just took a photo but it's too late, I sprayed them about an hour ago. But you could see white lines between the scutes where the keratin has filled the crevice before I sprayed.
IMG_20160831_191127.jpg

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Adorable baby. Mine will usually sample new plants and for the most part just climb into them destroy them and go about their day. I bought an awesome banana tree that my 10lb male pushed over and stripped bare in less than a few hours.

Lu_x85

@Anyfoot
So, just to check I've understood- do I want to see those crevices infilling and essentially turning white?

The little chap has currently decided it's lovely and cosy snuggled behind a large bromeliad down the warmest end of his enclosure.

Lu_x85

Adorable baby. Mine will usually sample new plants and for the most part just climb into them destroy them and go about their day. I bought an awesome banana tree that my 10lb male pushed over and stripped bare in less than a few hours.
Haha! He sounds like a character! I'm glad I went with planting out as he absolutely loves it! I may have underestimated his trampling skills... Small doesn't mean you can't bulldoze!