Trimming beaks

georgeandbessy

Hi I have had people saying my tortoises beak is too long . He eats off slate which I thought would control it. How can I trim his beak and will it hurt him when I do :pImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1468685046.904183.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1468685059.121694.jpg

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
It is like a fingernail, so it doesn't hurt. Most people use a dremel tool and file it. Some use clippers. I believe there are how to threads, if you use the search.

jdarends

All 3 of mine eat off of 24" paver stones. No beak problems, n easy to clean/keep bugs off

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I've never had to trim Charlie's. I think yours might have an overbite. I think you'll have to keep trimming it no matter what type of surface you feed him on.

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
i feed on a slate as well and have had to have my torts beak trimmed. alot of people are opposed to vets however if you have one thats experienced in the area having them do it is quick with no fear of hurting the tortoise. i couldnt watch them do it though

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
I used a nail filer to file my torts beak when i thought it was getting a little long. A dremmal as Jodie suggested would make filing it much faster and easier