Travelling advice for a baby tortoise

J4cq

Location (City and/or State)
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi everyone, I'm new here and new to forums in general! I'm hopefully getting an 8 month old greek tortoise next week. I'd like some advice on travelling. I live in NZ. The tortoise is at Auckland and I'm in Wellington. It's about a 7-8 hour drive. I have two options, drive there and back and collect the tortoise myself or the tortoise can be delivered using a petbus which could take 24-36 hours to get to Wellington. Is there anything that needs to be done to prepare the tortoise for travel and how do I make sure the tortoise doesn't get cold while out of his normal environment?
Any suggestions are great fully received, thanks.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
A cardboard box with hay works. Depending what your temps are for the day you may need to keep him warm. But if your in a vehicle he should be fine. I've received tortoises from NY to CA in less than 24 hours no problems. First thing I do is soak them in warm water and then put them in their enclosure and let them be.

— Gus

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

It's really no big deal. Tortoises usually just sleep during travel. Put him into a small space that is kept warm and dark, cover him up with shredded paper or hay and he should be just fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd go get him. Travel in a plastic tub with some grass hay to contain any "messes". Cardboard would leak. Ask me how I know this...

Keep the car warm during the drive.

visco

5 Year Member
Taiwan
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1414426459.073783.jpg
This is the set up we use when we need to travel with the torts. Its about the size of a small tool box. I put a pet training diaper followed by the fake grass in the bottom which is great for keeping everything clean and basically odorless. ( we take this on the train with us). the rest gets filled with grass etc and some food and the torts seem as content (as they could be) and usually sleep/ hide until the trip is over.
The whole set up only cost a few dollars but is reusable as long as the torts fit in comfortably.