Training Tortoises

Nico7

Location (City and/or State)
Portland, ME
Hi all, This is kind of a odd question but is there any way to train a Russian tortoise to do stuff like come, and stay if so how? Thanks everyone.

Maitaimommy

Lol. I don't think so. I'd be happy if I could train mine to pee and poop in water. He isn't housebroken:(

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Training works better with dogs and people (some people anyway). If you dangle food in front of a tortoise it will follow anybody anywhere, at least until it comes to another piece of food that is easier to get. However, it will quickly learn that you and others like you are a source of food. So in a way, you are training it. But don't expect it to sit up or fetch a ball anytime soon.

Maitaimommy

Training works better with dogs and people (some people anyway). If you dangle food in front of a tortoise it will follow anybody anywhere, at least until it comes to another piece of food that is easier to get. However, it will quickly learn that you and others like you are a source of food. So in a way, you are training it. But don't expect it to sit up or fetch a ball anytime soon.

Lol not sure what "people" need training! Perhaps you're referring to college so they can better themselves. Anyways, great post! Have a good night!