Training my tortoise??

Tort1419

I just got a Russian, should I make sure to train him to sleep in his humid his out? Or should I let him sleep where he wants. It's werid I just got him and he is very calm, I got him 6 days ago and he lets me pet him, hand feed him,
And he will not ever use his hides unless he wants to climb on them or explore them. So should I put him in his humid hide every night, or does it matter, he is captive bred and anywhere between 6 months and 1 year old.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you don't have the enclosure humid, which for a young one it would be best, but if you don't, they yes, I would put him in his hide. He will probably get used to,it and use it himself.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I don't think that torts can be trained to do/not to do certain things. I posted a thread on this subject quite some time ago, and was told by most members who answered, that although torts have a brain and a nervous system one cannot train them like one can do with other pets. And I have confirmed this: I tried uselessly to train my Greek tort not to entre my bedroom. I only wasted time and energy.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
They are creatures of habit and instinct. You can tweak things a bit and they can associate you with food, etc. but it's easier to see what they want to do and then try to go along with it.
For example, one of my tortoises has decided that she wants to sleep behind an open door in the enclosure. I moved her away several times and she always came back. I ended up laying down hay and mulch in that spot. She sleeps there every night.
Babies will seek out a place that is warm and humid. If you use a hide that has some soft moss in it and it is warm, the baby will use it.
Not really training, just understanding.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If your tortoise is full grown, he doesn't need a humid hide. When we talk about humidity and moisture in the habitat we're referring to baby tortoise enclosures.

If you want your tortoise to sleep in his hide you have to put him in there every night. He'll eventually get the message.