1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Train A Tortoise

Discussion in 'Advanced Tortoise Topics' started by Dequan Jones, May 23, 2016.

1. Gillian Moore

Gillian Moore Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:
  2. Fredkas

Fredkas Well-Known Member

You mention wrong member lol. Oh i love hand feeding my 3 months, and i think he / she enjoy it. If it is no good for the tortoise behaviour in the future, i guess i'll pass it.

I see. I'll search it.
  3. Maverick

Maverick Active Member

4. Fredkas

Fredkas Well-Known Member

Wow that RF is big!! The training give me idea :D
  5. Gillian Moore

I tried to train my tort not to entre my bedroom, however it did not work. I read that torts cannot be trained, and it seems to be true.
  6. CathyNed

CathyNed Well-Known Member

Cant say much about training myself but I joke all the time that my tort is toilet trained. Since the day I got him he routinely eats his food, turns around and poops in his dish. The only time he poops elsewhere is when he is in the bath. I must admit its handy for cleaning purposes.
    Otherwise he is not trained but has a routine. He knows when to come for food and when to go to his night box.
    Gillian Moore and mctlong like this.
  7. Mortis_thetortoise

Mortis_thetortoise Member

same thing can happen to dogs and even humans. once one gets too focused with one method to reach the the goal they can be blinded by other options to reach it.

have you ever tricked a dog by faking throwing a ball and watching it run to find the ball ? does that make the dog stupid? No, it means the owner never exposed them to the experience. after working with my dog its impossible to "fake him out" as he has learned to watch the ball and not your hand.

its like asking a elementary school kid to do high school math.... itll be easier to those previously exposed to the experience.

im sure when he tries to escape from his enclosure he doesn't just try one spot and give up. after a while of trying hell figure out its not working and try another option until he is tired or is hungry or decides hes stuck.
  8. JoesMum

JoesMum Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

No he just keeps trying the one spot. We've had him over 40 years. It's never changed. He goes for the most direct route and will only move if I do.
  9. Mortis_thetortoise

Mortis_thetortoise Member

interesting
  10. Gillian Moore

You are lucky and so is your tort.
    JoesMum likes this.
  11. Beasty_Artemis

Beasty_Artemis Active Member

Oh....wow! Cool video!!!

I have always had lots of reptiles since i was a little girl. And my red foot tortoise , Artemis, is actually really responsive to training! Oh and she is around 5 inches long, so she is still a little girl.
    She reacts and comes to her name! Then follows me around the perimeter of her table. She lets different people give her pets on the head other than just myself.
    She always starts eating or searching for food when i say "feeding time baby"!

Then sometimes, if i dont give her enough veriety in her salad, she will get butt-hurt and just keep burying herself if i take her out again. Lately she is very picky and will not eat clover....

But i recomend positive reinforcement! I would give her a treat if she walked up to me, or followed me around her kingdom. Teach them that their "human pet" is just around to give them goodies.
    Gillian Moore likes this.
  12. Gillian Moore

Interesting. Don't know whether or not you read my post as far as training a tort is concerned. I tried to train Oli not to entre my bedroom. However, not only did it not work. It was the ONE and ONLY room he wanted to entre! "Forbidden fruit is the sweetest" I thought - lol!
  13. Cowboy_Ken

Cowboy_Ken Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

And it all seems to end with YOU being trained not to hand feed. Perhaps the concept here should be changed to, "Can a human be trained with a tortoise?" And not visa-versa?