Torts and CMV?

Jenncure

5 Year Member
Can tortoises carry CMV? Should pregnant women avoid cleaning up their droppings?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I never heard of it either. Had to look it up.

I've had a career in the pet trade dealing with tortoises and other animals since 1986. Been keeping them since1979. Much of my family and friends are medical professionals. And I'm a father. Given all of that, I have to say the risk is minimal and possibly nonexistent.

I'm just some guy on the internet, so if you are concerned, I would ask your doctor.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
16 years ago, during the pregnancy for our first child, my wife had the same question. She is a Doctor and has a number of Doctor friends - she asked a neurologist, a GP and her OB - they all admitted they had no experience with tortoise specific concerns, but hypothesized that if there was a known issue that it would be public knowledge. I am also just some guy on the internet, so ask your doctor.

Reactions: Tom

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
I'm a Doctor and a Mother as well.

Please avoid the feces as much as possible.

The answer is that we don't know. I can tell you that the odds are very low. But your health and your baby's health are paramount. Is there someone who might be able to help you?

Be safe. Stay healthy. And Congratulations!

Best,
Shaifali

Jenncure

5 Year Member
I fear that a doctor will tell me to get rid of the tortoise. She is kept indoors

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have received quite a few tortoises from women who were pregnant and feared for their newborn baby. Personally, I really doubt there is a danger.

Jenncure

5 Year Member
Good. I will have someone else clean up after her, but there is no way I am giving up my tort!

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
Children who are subjected to the "dirt" of asnimals and the outdoors, usually have less allergies.
When cleaning up after your tort, wear a pair of gloves, the plastic, surgeony kind.

And I'm just a woman on the Internet with no kids.

#stephanie#

Throughout my pregnancy I did everything that I normally do for my tortoise. I now have a 10 month old healthy daughter. I think it just comes down to how big you think the risk is. Personally I thought it was extremely low hence why I just carried on doing what I was doing. Congratulations by the way.