Tortoises Yawning?

KatyshaB

Location (City and/or State)
Northern Utah
I have two adult/young adult Russian Tortoises, a male, and a female. I have noticed over the past months that my female will at least once or twice a day 'yawn' now, when I say this. I am not implying she is actually 'yawning' but, some days, she will just be standing there. And she opens her mouth as wide as it can go. She makes no noise, but she sort of 'lifts' her head up. She then closes her mouth. (This process takes like under three seconds to do). And goes about her day. I have had her for a few months, I have NEVER, in the four years of caring for my male Russian, see him exhibit this sort of behavior. This is probably a stupid question, but I'm curious.

(Also, before anybody gets confused they ARE separated. I know the damage a male can do to a female, and they live in separate enclosures. People seem to tell me this a lot, but I separated them the day I got the female. They are both happy and healthy)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Her nose may be plugged up. Tortoises don't breathe through their mouth, so when the nose gets plugged, they don't breath until they have to, then the open their mouth a gasp air in.

By the same token, it could simply be yawning, like you thought.

KatyshaB

Northern Utah
I think it looks adorable, but I hope it doesn't mean her nose is plugged up. If it was that, I think you would see it more often. I hardly ever see Charlie do it. I keep hoping I'll catch a picture when he's doing it.
I don't think so. She only does it one or two times a day, I understand that it is normal now. But now I'm curious as to why my Female did it the FIRST day I got her, but Bosley, NEVER does it. I do not remember seeing him yawn. And I agree it is adorable :)

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
My russian female yawns more than the male. The female has yawned maybe 3-4 times in the past 4 months that ive had her. The male has yawned once.
I think its cute , ive been trying to catch them yawning with my camera but of course im always too slow

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Speedy yawns pretty much daily , he wakes up and sits in the opening of his hide and yawns several times before he comes out ! I think its just part of his waking up ritual ! :)
Same with Lola - he surveys his kingdom and yawns before starting his busy day.
I have seen him yawn when he's stretched out and basking too.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I don't think so. She only does it one or two times a day, I understand that it is normal now. But now I'm curious as to why my Female did it the FIRST day I got her, but Bosley, NEVER does it. I do not remember seeing him yawn. And I agree it is adorable :)

Some folks burp, fart, pick their nose and the like....suppose it is the individual....:p I see the Redfoot tortoise here more than I see the outdoor CDTs and so I have seen the Redfoot tortoise all at one time or another yawn....I have not see the CDTs outdoors though....although I bet they do as well...

Traccey

Her nose may be plugged up. Tortoises don't breathe through their mouth, so when the nose gets plugged, they don't breath until they have to, then the open their mouth a gasp air in.

I'm scared my Sulcata is having nose plugged up too. How to heal her?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I'm scared my Sulcata is having nose plugged up too. How to heal her?

This is a very old thread, you will likely get a better response if you post a new thread asking about your tortoise trouble.

ruthiepo

Chippenham

Hello, Yvonne, it's so interesting to read about tortoise behaviour here, I want to learn
I'm a bit worried because I have a new baby tortoise, 9 months old, have only had her a few days and she has been settling in well and I have been studying the care sheets.
She's a Mediterranean spur thighed tortoise
This morning she is yawning a lot!
Every few minutes
I'm getting worried in case she is getting a respiratory infection
She came out of her hide, and headed to her basking area, she has stretched her head and legs out, but now and then yawns mightily, she is drooping her head with eyes closed.she is in her warm basking area.
Sorry, it's probably the middle of the night for you, it's just nearly six am here in the UK

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Old thread, but I’ll contribute. Yesterday after a long outside nap in a shaded, very warm humid spot, our Sully motored around, did a nice big stretch then a bib big yawn. We often see our Sully open wide up & yawn.