Tortoise's living together?

Rebbes

Hi, can 2 tortoise live together if they both come from the same pet shop and from the same viv that they were in together? I got one of them 2 weeks ago and there was only one more left and was thinking of going back to get that one as well?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi, no 2 torts together isn't recommended. One becomes dominant and often bullies the other it's not always physical aggression but very subtle stuff like following or staring - sometimes the stress can make the other ill and even cause injury or death. They are very territorial and don't like sharing space and food with another. Even with a male/female pair the male can harass the female for mating.
Groups seem to work OK but the more torts you have the more space and cost etc. Have a look at the link from someone who learned from experience
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/

Nothing wrong with keeping them in separate enclosures though.

Ramirezm2

5 Year Member
Elk Grove CA
I have an adult bearded dragon that lives with my sulcata and they get alone gine. The beardie also keeps his distance from the sulcata

Souptugo

5 Year Member
I have an adult bearded dragon that lives with my sulcata and they get alone gine. The beardie also keeps his distance from the sulcata

What is the reason for keeping them together? Also OP was asking about keeping 2 tortoises together not a bearded dragon and a tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This isn't a good idea either. Different care requirements and different pathogens that could be spread between the two and make one sick if not worse.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

This is a mistake. You are risking disease, injury, and they have different diets and environmental requirements.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, can 2 tortoise live together if they both come from the same pet shop and from the same viv that they were in together? I got one of them 2 weeks ago and there was only one more left and was thinking of going back to get that one as well?

Tortoises should not live in pairs. Groups can sometimes work, but not pairs. Give this a read:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

If you want the other one, which all of us certainly would, just set up a separate enclosure.

Last edited by a moderator: