Tortoises in Pet store chains

Maitaimommy

Location (City and/or State)
Hello everyone,

I purchased my russian at a large pet store chain in my area about two months ago. Since joining this forum, I've learned so much about captive bred vs. wild caught and would certainly choose a reputible breeder if I could change things.
Anyway, I went in that store today to purchase sub and glanced at the two male russians that were living together in a very tiny aquarium. I was disgusted and heartbroken... The lighting and temp seemed ok and they had plenty of clean water but dry, poor quality pellet type food that neither were eating. Also, the smaller of the two males was nipping at the older. I have seen this before and know why it is strongly suggested to separate pairs. This is a sad situation that upsets me to my core.
Any advice or suggestions on what I can do to fix this horrible situation for these poor torts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,
maitaimommy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You have to bare in mind that tortoises in pet stores are on display to sell, not set up in a permanent, correct habitats. They don't have the space to set them up individually in roomy enclosures. Hopefully the turnover time is quick and they don't stay in that situation too long.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone,

I purchased my russian at a large pet store chain in my area about two months ago. Since joining this forum, I've learned so much about captive bred vs. wild caught and would certainly choose a reputible breeder if I could change things.
Anyway, I went in that store today to purchase sub and glanced at the two male russians that were living together in a very tiny aquarium. I was disgusted and heartbroken... The lighting and temp seemed ok and they had plenty of clean water but dry, poor quality pellet type food that neither were eating. Also, the smaller of the two males was nipping at the older. I have seen this before and know why it is strongly suggested to separate pairs. This is a sad situation that upsets me to my core.
Any advice or suggestions on what I can do to fix this horrible situation for these poor torts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,
maitaimommy

Go tell the management. Explain that you understand what Yvonne just said in post #2, but that one is going to injure the other and they need to be separated immediately. I guarantee they won't do it once the manager is there with you watching, so try to video it ahead of time.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
I went to a pet store a couple months ago that used sand for every reptile including tortoises. Told myself I will never buy from pet stores ever again.

Maitaimommy

I went to a pet store a couple months ago that used sand for every reptile including tortoises. Told myself I will never buy from pet stores ever again.

I know what you mean. I'm trying to stay away from pet stores altogether. It's heartbreaking to walk through the doors and see the animals piled into overcrowded cages/tanks.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
I know what you mean. I'm trying to stay away from pet stores altogether. It's heartbreaking to walk through the doors and see the animals piled into overcrowded cages/tanks.
we have a chain of pet stores here in the UK called pets at home , they have stopped selling reptiles. I asked the employee why this was happening and he said they weren't making money of them. The livestock at these stores is very limited-Which I'm very grateful for. I rather just buy from dedicated sellers.

Maitaimommy

we have a chain of pet stores here in the UK called pets at home , they have stopped selling reptiles. I asked the employee why this was happening and he said they weren't making money of them. The livestock at these stores is very limited-Which I'm very grateful for. I rather just buy from dedicated sellers.

As would I. I bought my russian at petsmart because he was not being cared for properly. Turns out he and I get on very well. He's my baby. I love the UK! I visited in 2014.