Tortoises, hundreds, all getting along

AZTorts

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
What kind are these and why do they all get along? I am really curious about this. I took this video at the Arizona Herpetological Association (AHA), which is not a zoo. They take in all kinds of reptiles, a lot were pets at one point then the people didn't want them anymore. This is where I adopted my box turtles.

"One of the primary focuses of the Arizona Herpetological Association (AHA) is to educate, inform, and promote the communities understanding of reptiles and amphibians."

AZTorts

Arizona

AZTorts

Arizona
Notice a couple of the sulcatas climb over others to get at what they want? Notice some scurry off to exit the scene?

So these are Sulcatas? Look how many there are. They are not native to here so that means probably most of these were at one time pets and once they got too big they were given up. People need to know what they are getting before they get it! :( Too much breeding and not enough suitable homes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Those are sulcatas.

Being stuck in the same pen does not constitute "getting along".

We've had many a thread discussing that place and their practices.

AZTorts

Arizona
Those are sulcatas.

Being stuck in the same pen does not constitute "getting along".

We've had many a thread discussing that place and their practices.

Hmmmm Interesting. Well I guess in their defense, they are doing the best they can with what they have? I think it's an over population problem....same as with dogs and cats and even horses. Too many animals for too few suitable homes. Too many people breeding to make a buck or just because they don't know any better or are too lazy to do right by their animals. They treat their animals like they are nothing more than disposable objects. I don't know? What are your thoughts on it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That place sells tortoises and breeds babies to be sold. They are not the innocent rescuers trying to help save the tortoises they make themselves out to be.

AZTorts

Arizona
That place sells tortoises and breeds babies to be sold. They are not the innocent rescuers trying to help save the tortoises they make themselves out to be.

Well that's worth looking into. I'm hearing really bad things about the Maricopa County Dog Pound too. What's wrong with my state?!

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
This is animal hoarding and borders on animal cruelty you can see damage to carapaces on several and it cant be good to have 100+lb torts crawling over them. Not to mention there os no plants or grass and they are all fighting for one freaking bowl.

turtlemanfla88

Males will start fighting and can really do damage to each other hopefully they have a plan when that happens. In Florida the clubs I involved with we try to educate future tortoise/turtle owners learn and read as much as you can about the species you want to keep.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just sad. Too bad they can't be closed down. Then again, the idiots closing them would probably want to destroy all the sullys. It always seems to be a no win situation for animals in those kinds of places.:(
Btw, there are a lot of people in the hot and dry states that think it's too much work to properly care for tortoises to grow smooth and stay hydrated. I guess the all might dollar wins over life again:(

verda

5 Year Member
Texas
Wow! That video was so hard for me to watch. Poor torts, no grass and not enough food for them and is that enough enough space for that many torts. I really hope they some how end up some where better.

AZTorts

Arizona
Just sad. Too bad they can't be closed down. Then again, the idiots closing them would probably want to destroy all the sullys. It always seems to be a no win situation for animals in those kinds of places.:(
Btw, there are a lot of people in the hot and dry states that think it's too much work to properly care for tortoises to grow smooth and stay hydrated. I guess the all might dollar wins over life again:(

We don't know the background on all the tortoises that they took in. It is very possible they were already like that when the owners took them there. Now I'm hearing troubling things about them though....

From their website:
Welcome to the Phoenix Herpetological Society’s Web site. We are a non-profit organization dedicated to educating, rehabilitating and preserving native and non-native reptiles in Arizona.
PHS is not a public zoo, but a private sanctuary

hdr_about.jpg

The Phoenix Herpetological Society is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization and is a statewide facility that includes a surrender facility, education program, summer camps and rescue and rehabilitation.

In 2001, three people had a vision to make a difference for reptiles in the state of Arizona. There were plenty of organizations to rescue all species of animals from dogs and cats to birds and rabbits. There were no facilities for the intake of reptiles. People who own reptiles as pets had no outlet to relinquish ownership if needed or a place to acquire additional information on care and husbandry. In addition, native species were being destroyed due to lack of education. These three individuals Russ Johnson, Daniel Marchand and Debbie Gibson launched the Phoenix Herpetological Society (PHS). The mission was to have a facility to house reptiles until forever homes could be found and to educate people on responsible pet ownership and the importance on conservation and desert safety.

PHS focuses on two specific goals:

Rescue and Rehabilitation
The need for a sanctuary was not only for non-native but native species as well. On average PHS takes in close to 500 animals annually from private pet owners. PHS approached Arizona Game and Fish with a proposal to build a facility for this purpose. Currently PHS is home to over 1,200 animals of which 90% are pet trade type animals. We assist the general public, humane societies, animal welfare leagues, animal control departments, law enforcement and other organizations across the United States. Recently PHS assisted the SPCA on a rescue in Texas where we picked up 572 animals. These animals are being rehabilitated and some are currently up for adoption

Conservation Education
Conservation begins with education. Our desert (and our planet) is in serious jeopardy. It is imperative to teach our youth the importance each animal plays in our eco-system. Last year the PHS outreach program touched 109,000 people. These were primarily school-aged children and teenagers.

We hope that you find this website helpful and if we can answer any questions please click here and you will be routed to our contact page.

Thank you for visiting our site.

Debbie

http://www.phoenixherp.com/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It all sounds really good, until they started breeding and selling and adding to the problem.

AZTorts

Arizona
It all sounds really good, until they started breeding and selling and adding to the problem.

That's what I'm hearing now. I'm trying to find out if that is what is really going on. I do know there's tortoises breeding there, I've seen it with my own eyes. LOL But I don't know what happens to the eggs/babies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can "adopt" a tortoise from there if you are willing to pay market value. Of course the nicer and bigger it is the more it costs. Apparently they sell hundreds of babies a year.

I don't know the thread titles, but we have had several discussions about this place over the years and been given first hand accounts of what goes on there.

AZTorts

Arizona
You can "adopt" a tortoise from there if you are willing to pay market value. Of course the nicer and bigger it is the more it costs. Apparently they sell hundreds of babies a year.

I don't know the thread titles, but we have had several discussions about this place over the years and been given first hand accounts of what goes on there.

I bought my box turtles from there over two years ago. I think I paid $40 a piece for them. They had just been brought in that day. One has shell damage or something. I'm probably going to post a video of him to see if there is anything that can help his shell. I wouldn't want them to give them away though. But if they are breeding to sell the animals, I don't like that at all!