tortoises can float??

Killerrookie

Tortoise probably breathed in and hold his breath to stay above water. Humans can do it also and many other animals.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Some float (those with high domes) and some (like desert tortoises) sink like a rock.

M

Maggie Cummings

Bob loved to swim. He was over 100 pounds when he got into his pool. At times he'd float and sometimes he'd play submarine and simply lay on the bottom.

PB230148.JPG

I expect that one of these days I'll be able to stop posting pictures of him....

PC300389.JPG
Some float (those with high domes) and some (like desert tortoises) sink like a rock.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
2 of 6 of my redfoots will swim. One excitedly so and the other only because her life depends on it. The little one though, she's like a piranha.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
Here's my yearling 3-toed swimming in my 150 gallon tank, they seem to like it and I do enjoy watching them....I suppose it's bad in some small way......

Are you kidding? 3-toes love floating for long periods. They are very buoyant. They are often classed as semi-aquatic. They even will eat in the water.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Oh i love videos of red foots swimming around! Sooo cute! Someday ill see if Artemis would try to swim if i install a "deep end".